Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about timpani rolls

surfmonkey

I have a question regarding timpani rolls. I am helping out a friend with a MIDI score mock-up, and he had the timpani doing a roll with the timpani playing 32nd notes at a tempo of quarter note equals 108. Obviously this is unrealistic, but how fast do timpani players perform a roll at that tempo? 16th notes? Also would it be on one drum? Or, do timpani players always alternate between two drums? Thanks very much for any help.
I have no homepage.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That can be a bit tough to pull off, but 32nd's at that tempo is doable and realistic.

Rolls are typically done on one drum. If on 2 tymps (or drums) it isn't a roll. So, a roll denotes a single drum, not the instrument.

Unless, someone can do 2 simultaneous one-hand rolls with both hands!

I wasn't typing right.

A tymp "roll" doesn't consist of a bounce with each strike. L-L-R-R-L-L is a roll. A tymp is played L-R-L-R. Tymps have a lot of sustain and have a mushy feel due to the head size and the mallets.

I also should have asked for the duration. If this roll is 3 beats (in 4/4, 108bpm) long, then manually play L-R-L-R as fast as you can. Count your strokes. I count about about 13 L-R combinations, so I would call it a 13 stroke "roll". Percussionists are aware that a "roll" on a tymp is not the same as on a snare, but is notated the same.

You may be playing 16th note triplets. Randomize your velocities and timings, and make sure that you have 3 or more tymp sounds sustain before MIDI sends a note off command.

I hope that is worded correctly! Without graphics it is a bit tough to explain.

Do whatever you have to do to make the MIDI timpani sound correct.

If you are playing real timpani, the rolls vary from drum to drum; pitch to pitch.

Here's a rule to follow when rolling on timpani:

The lower the pitch, the slower the roll.

You want to adjust your strokes so that you catch the vibration speed of the drumhead on the timpani, working with it to keep a sustain. If you roll too fast, the timpani will "growl" and you'll hear little hiccups in the sound. If you roll to slow ... well, it's obvious I guess, but you'll only hear a rhythmic pattern ... which you don't want on timpani if you are trying to sustain a tone by rolling.

High pitches vibrate faster than low pitches, which is why the roll speed must also vary.

As already mentioned, timpani rolls are ALWAYS played as single strokes. You do NOT roll using double strokes.

In regards to the rolls ... using the technique I've described above is the same technique that separates the professionals from the amateurs.

Incidentally, this same technique is used when playing mallet percussion, such as a marimba.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

i used to play real timpanis about 10 years ago, and I think varrying the stroke tempo with velocity, especially on the lower notes, is important to some extent. It doesn't sound noticeable, but I think it happens. But like someone mentioned, on the higher end of the note scale, you are actually hitting pretty fast even when you are staying quiet.

Surf Monkey:

By and far, most professionals use a French grip for playing tympani. This is a grip that reflects a thumbs facing up. Basically, your last two fingers are doing most of the work.

As Bartman said, the bigger the drum, you adjust the roll speed to compensate for the longer vibration of the head.

As a matter of fact, the infamous roll used to start many songs that utilized a fortissimo roll to start a song, you strike the head with one strick, and then start a slow speed roll growing in a cresendo to the start of the song.

A great book to use for tympani method is the Saul Goodman Modern Method for Tymani that has been re-issued by Warner Bros. Music.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Archived