Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No Snare Challenge

sidereal

OK. Let's say you were approached to play drums on an album and the artist says, "can we try and do it without any snare drum?"

Now, I'm always up for a challenge. I think it's interesting how Peter Gabriel did his whole third album without any cymbals.

But I thought I'd throw it out to the group and see what some thoughts are. Some things that immediately came to mind were to have a djembe at the snare position. Another thought is to just add more toms and create some pattern-type beats for the songs, rather than backbeat. Another approach would be to treat the kit like a percussion setup rather than a standard drum kit.

Incidentally, this is singer-songwriter type stuff. But the aim is to have some very different rhythmic elements.

Just for the record.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someones been listening to Crimson...

I don't think these things work all that well myself. A drumset without a snare is STILL a drumset. The drummer just plays the snare part on something else.

Have you ever heard a drummer play congas? How often does it come out sounding like they are playing the same drumset riffs they would normally play -just on congas instead?

If you want to really change things, you really should re-define the instrument. Have the drummer play on a Synthaxe/Drumitar or a Z-tar or Zendrum, for example. Brushes or mallets on tin cans and cardboard boxes. Mic the drummer's mouth and have them play the hi-hat part by biting their teeth together. I've gotten cool sounds from snaping the tabs on soda cans. Rub your hands together for a shaker sound.

There are a lot better ways to change things than to take the drummers snare or cymbals away. That just pisses drummers off...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

So is this singer/songwriter indicating they don't want the drums to use the standard backbeat? Or are they saying they are looking for a backbeat, but not a snare sound?

I think it would be interesting as a drummer to record without the standard 2 & 4 (or whatever variation). Like anything musical, I guess it all depends on what the songs call for.

I'd make sure I bring a snare (or a few) just in case the artist and/or producer suddenly changes their minds about no snare!!!

I can't say I've ever played without a snare, but I did a few recording sessions where I was asked not to use any toms or cymbals (except for hi-hat). The first time felt real weird, but, once done, I found I kinda liked it. On one hand, it took away any "pressure" to come up killer whole-kit fills and just hold down a solid groove. On the other hand, it makes you think a little differently in how you approach the turnarounds, bridges, choruses, etc. Now I'm sorta hooked. It's my "standard setup" most rehearsals and small gigs.

But no snare?? I'll have to try that.... someday!

Well, Look at Terry Bozzio, ... he rarely plays his snare drum with the snares engaged.

He prefers the tonal quality of the snare (ala muted timbale) without the "snares."

This goes back to a conversation we had regarding drumset setups. We all get so locked into what people accept as standard.

What would happen to your grooves ... if you put the 12" tom where your snare typically goes? Could create an entirely different sound to the same groove.

Try this ... if you want to blow your mind! Play your standard Rock n' Roll groove 101 but put the 1 and 3 on the snare and the 2 and 4 on the bass drum! Wicked mind melt.

DJ

I do use a "de-snared" snare drum as a hi-tom/imbale, while playing patterns, from time to time, but usually to give song a different flavor. So it is on song-by-song basis. Never a whole set or gig though. Interesting concept...

As far as shifting whole patterns, DJ, I do that quite often; sometimes as lead-in to fill, for the fill itself, or, an entire section.. say, the entire bridge. Sometimes I shift everything a quarter note, but mostly eighths or maybe sixteenths. Now that's fun...!

Interesting thoughts... :) I like the idea of placing a tom in the snare position, or maybe a detuned, snares-off snare.

The interesting thing is that this is pretty standard singer/songwriter stuff, but the artist wants unusual sounds rather than the standard snare. A lot of brush style playing is also required for these songs, so another thing I was thinking is a Remo frame drum with wire brushes. Kind of a cool sound. :)

Just for the record.

Djarrett say: "Well, Look at Terry Bozzio, ... he rarely plays his snare drum with the snares engaged.

He prefers the tonal quality of the snare (ala muted timbale) without the "snares.""

Interesting. I played without a snare mounted to the snare drum for about 4 or 5 years. I just didn't like the "military" thing, and it would drive me bananas when the thing would rattle to every bass note and organ swell. Really spacious music where you notice all that.

I finally went with the gut snares on a Gladstone copper snare drum (calf heads). It's primitive! It's visceral- literally! It's more orchestral. I dig it. I removed all but a few snare strands though, as my aesthetic had become so attuned to the unsnared sound of the drum, and I didn't want to damp the bottom head too much.

I alternate snare chores between the gut snare, really nice orchestral tambourines (like a kinda piccolo snare), and some LP fiberglass bongos! Gets you a kind of tabla-like *chirp* that's just the ticket sometimes.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived