Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drill ports in lower hat?

GreggTL

I'm a project studio owner. I own a nice set of DW drums because most of the local bands who come in here have crummy sounding drums that don't record well. My hat is a set of Nubeat 14''. I find these are less harsh than many other types of hats, but I'd like it more if they sounded EVEN SMOOTHER. (This is not a recording technique question as I have a lot of background there and have the right mics, preamps, etc.) I've seen some similar hats in stores which sound smoother and have little ports drilled into the bell of the bottom cymbal. Would drilling ports into mine help me with this? I'd greatly appreciate a response from someone(s) who has an understanding of this kind of issue! Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drilling holes in the bottom hat will reduce air lock when you do a lot of opening and closing of the hats.

How would you define "smoother"? This is the key question that will enable people to give you suggestions. Do you have a recording in mind with smooth hats that you would like to reproduce?

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

If the removal of the air lock is the desired result, that is the reason for the Paiste Sound Edge hi hats. They "ripple" the edge of the bottom hat so air can escape. I like it, but am surprised that so few people use it.

Yeah, Sound Edge hats are nice.

Removing the air lock will give you a crisper 'Chick' sound.

I don't have air holes in my hats. Rather I utilize the hi-hat stand. You may have noticed a little screw in the bottom cup that supports the bottom hat. The point of this screw is to 'tilt' the bottom hat a bit so that when the hats close the air doesn't get trapped from them closing all at once and forming a seal. You might have some success trying this.

I don't know that it will give you the 'smooth' sound you refer to. That sounds more like the cymbals themselves need some cleaning or replacing.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

GreggTL:

There are several serious issues to consider regarding what you are suggesting:

1) Your hihat stand has a tilt-screw underneith the bottom hihat cymbal cup. Adding a little tilt to the bottom cymbal will allow that airlock to escape. This should remedy any problems you are having with this.

2) Drilling cymbals is a dangerous prospect for someone that is not trained in this procedure. (believe me ... I can speak from experience). Heat buildup from drilling can alter the molecular structure of your cymbal. This can have a devastating effect on your cymbals structural integrity. It can leave your cymbal brittle. It can alter the sound in a "bad" way. Should you decide that drilling is necessary, ... seek out someone that is trained to do this ... or send them back to the manufacturer to have the deed done.

If you decide to do this yourself ... make sure that you have a sharp metal bit. USE A DRILL PRESS. Slow revolutions and stop often to allow heat to dissapate.

3) Just trade your cymbals for a set that already has holes installed at the factory. You will save your self some major headaches.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Vented hi-hat bottoms solve the airlock problem, but then they get really loud. Hihats are almost always much too loud to begin with.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Everybody. I did not drill them. I tilted the bottom hat like you said. But I also somewhat tightened the top cymbal. This combination gave me a sound that is more 'ripple-y' and less 'noisey', which is what I desired.

"Drilling cymbals is a dangerous prospect for someone that is not trained in this procedure. (believe me ... I can speak from experience)."

heh heh.

zzzzZZZZZZzzzzCRACK!

"D'OH!"

zzzzZZZZZZzzzzCRACK!

"D'OH!"

zzzzZZZZZZzzzzCRACK!

"D'OH!"

zzzzZZZZZZzzzzCRACK!

"D'OH!"

(sssstupid cymbal maker....)

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived