Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite bass drum mike for recording...?

miroslav

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not a big fan of the AKG D112 that everyone seems to love. My fave kick mic has always been the EV RE20. 421's don't suck on kick either. The kick mic I use in my home studio is an EV ND868, which is cheaper than an RE20 and OK, it doesn't sound EXACTLY like one, but it's pretty cool!

I used to use an AKG D112 ("the egg") for ages until I heard a Beyer M88. From my live P.A and semi-pro studio experience, the M88's give the most consistently-good sounds day in day out without a lot of EQ. I've used them in everything from 18 inch Powerbeats, right through to 22 inch maple-shell Sonor De-lites and D.W kik drums, and they always give a great "meat-cleaver" type of sound....

Hope it helps....

Rs,

Q'wave

• 3 weeks later...
Current ads for AUDIX D6 brag, with several celebrity endorsements, that it blows the other kick mics out of the water...and that often it needs no EQing. Obviously, this thing is a matter of taste, but, has anyone tried one; could there be any validity to their claims?

I'm ready to ebay my D112 and move on. I'm just not very excited about it anymore. But it has been a workhorse; it's survived more than a decade of recording and constant gigging. A good solid choice.

Interesting how many different opinions are out there as to what's best (or are you all just stating what you happen to have in your studio :) ).

I've heard good things about the new Audix. I'd like to know more. I wonder what would happen if you stuck one of those new "phantom-powered dynamic" BLUE Ball thingies in there. Anyone tried that on kick?

Just for the record.

Originally posted by Jazzman:

I've always used an ATM 25.......takes a beating! ;) All of my mics are Audio-technica. (So Far)

Jazzman :cool:

Yeah, I really like the ATM25. I also use a 520i quite a bit. Both are VERY sweet kick drum mics.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by GreggTL:

Current ads for AUDIX D6 brag, with several celebrity endorsements, that it blows the other kick mics out of the water...and that often it needs no EQing. Obviously, this thing is a matter of taste, but, has anyone tried one; could there be any validity to their claims?

You know, I've had so many people ask that question, yet nobody has an answer. So this weekend, I'm going to buy one and put it through the paces. I'll report back afterwords and compare it to say the D112 or 421 or maybe even the RE20, all sitting in house ready to go.

D 112, ATM 25, ND 868 (sometimes)

I hate the Shure (too fat, no definition)

-and the D6 left me cold.

However, the BEST kick mic of all is Sound-Replacer! I wonder how many pro recordings these days actually contain the originally-recorded kick. 10% ? Maybe not even that much. I got so fed up with spending time and top-equipment on the kick, only to replace it later, that I finally chucked it all for a V-Kick. Life just got simpler.

SoundReplacer is wonderful as a last resort. I prefer to work with the kick that's recorded and carve what I want rather that immediately pulling down the plug-in. But yes, it works wonderfully, especially on kick drum.

P.Sound... I know it's only been a couple days, but anything to report yet? :)

Just for the record.

just to throw out another one....i was getting tired of the ATM25 and tried a Shure 819 (PZM)...really freaking cool, wet, thwak with no eq (not to say it won't need any in the end). this is on a Sonor 22" maple w/Aquarian superkick and felt tipped beater...

happy again... :wave:

There's a new one out from Audio Technica...they claim it's "the ultimate kick drum mic"...

The AE2500 (Artist Elite Series)

It is a Dual-Element mic (dynamic and condensor)

Check it out:

AE2500

There is a review in this months Mix Magazine.

Lists for $700.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I've been using the AE2500 as the inside mic on kick for about 2 months now. I like it much better than the 421 I was using, but it does burn another record channel. I still need to augment it with an outside mic (usually a royer r121). I like the 2 in 1 mic idea. It's quick to set up, and it really provides valuable options during mix.
cdowdell@bricasti.com

Archived