Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talk to me about Premier drums

saucyjack

A band who I am finishing up an album for owes me about $800.The drummer is looking for a new kit and is selling his Premier signe(?)kit and is interested in a swap to pay off studio bill. I've recorded the drums once and they seem to record well but being a guitarist I don't know much about drums.

The kit consists of kick,snare,and 3 toms with hardware,all maple shell I believe...no cymbals.He says this is a top of the line kit.

Seems like a pretty good deal

What's the lowdown on Premier kits?

What's the resale value on these?

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premier has been one of the more stable companies, IMHO, where quality and consistency are concerned. I have a Premier snare drum from my days in a bagpipe band (1977), and it's still solid, good-looking, and functional after all that beating. They also have a trademark sound, in my opinion.

Now, as far as current Premier offerings, I can't speak to that, but I'd look at the condition of the kit, the condition of the hardware; I'd also research which model of Premier drums they are in order to verify the drummers' claims of "top of the line".

All that said, if you're not a drummer, I'd press for the cash. The electric company doesn't take drums in payment for your bill. It seems to me that him giving you the set in lieu of payment does two things: 1) sets you up with the rep of being someone who can be 'bartered with' usually to your loss, and 2) saddles you with the responsibility of turning the drums into cash, something he doesn't seem to be that motivated to do, or else he would've done it already.

I caution against taking on someone else's responsibility in order to cover your own responsibilities.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Well, I have always liked Premier drums.

Never liked their hardware. Always seemed bassakwards to me ... but ... after all ... it comes from the land where they drive on the right side of the vehicle!

All in all, some of the best sounding toms I have ever heard were Premier.

In this instance, however ... I (in principle) agree with offramp. The one exception ... if you found this kit to be a top of the line and exceptionally clean kit ... and you are truly in the market for a set.

DJ

The Signia series are Premier's "Top of the line" kit - they are Maple, which is the preferred wood for most drummers

$800 for a 5 piece kit seems to be a reasonable price - but only if it is something you can use. If you're looking for a good sounding kit, it's probably a good price. I would think they would hold the $800 value - but the reality is there are getting to be fewer gigs for fewer musicians - meaning fewer people to buy used gear.

Archived