Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz, fusion, and standard configuration?

Adrian Smith

Hi, 11 year bassist here looking to start playing drums. However, I know squat about the terminology! What do all these different configurations mean? I'm looking at the Yamaha Custom Advantage 5-piece set. Thanks in advance!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.

--King Crimson

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "standard" setup is a five piece kit, with a 22" bass drum, 12" and 13" rack toms, a 16" floor tom, and a 14" snare, either five or 6 1/2 inches deep. A "fusion" setup is the same, with smaller sized toms (10/12/14). Sometimes it will be a six piece with a 16" tom added; this is also called a "studio" setup by some. A "jazz" setup is usually a four piece, the "standard" minus one rack tom (usually the 13").

Got all that? Good. Now - it's all marketing crap. Get the ones that sound good and feel good, whatever that means to you. There's no judgment like your own.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

Got all that? Good. Now - it's all marketing crap. Get the ones that sound good and feel good, whatever that means to you. There's no judgment like your own.

Hahaha, thanks for the info, I sort of figured is marketing crap, but I'm extremely new to the drum world.

--King Crimson

Modern Drummer reviewed the Stage Custom and the Stage Custom Advantage, and the reviewer preferred the Stage Custom. (FYI) Be sure to give each a listen!

I prefer fusion sizes. I played a standard sized kit for years but couldn't get the tuning intervals to sound right. I like the 10, 12, 14 diameters of fusion toms better -- the bigger difference between the 12 and 14 rather than 12 and 13 makes for better tuning in my opinion. And I love the higher-pitched cut of a 10 inch tom.

Jazz sizes usually means a smaller bass drum too, usually 18 inch diameter, another FYI.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Thanks bassdrummer, it looks like the difference between the two is the Standard come in matte finishes and has a steel snare and the Advantage comes in gloss and has a wood snare. Thanks for the heads-up from Modern Drummer.

This is a whole new world I'm getting into, I know all the bass stuff and a bit about guitar, but drums are way out of my league! :D

--King Crimson

You're welcome, Adrian Smith, and welcome to the world of drumming! I'm doing the opposite of you -- I've played drums for 17 years and am just trying to get started on bass. Got my cheap but functional Ibanez GSR200 at Guitar Center and run it through my Roland V-Drums PM-3 amp. We'll have to answer all of each other's questions!

By the way, another difference between the Stage Custom and the Stage Custom Advantage is the shell material and the lug configuration. The Stage Custom uses a combination of birch and mahogany in its shells; while the Advantage uses birch, mahogany, and some kind of wood called falkata. Also, the Stage Custom uses split "low-mass" lugs which theoretically allow for more resonance. The Advantage uses one piece "long" lugs that run the length of the shell. I have no idea why Yamaha did this, as I'd go for more resonance in the toms. I think the biggest difference, as you mentioned, is the metal vs. wood snare. I haven't compared the two kits so all I can say is that one is more expensive . . .

:cool:

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by Adrian Smith:

You can PM me anytime you need bass questions answered, that way I won't feel bad whenever I need to bug you. :D

Thanks! Will do. :thu:

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived