Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fitting new heads to vintage drum

wildplum

I have this beautiful 22 inch, late 60s, roundbadge Gretsch bass drum in gold sparkle. I got it from a collector who rarely played it, and it is in "collector's condition". But I want this drum to also be a working drum, exclusively for recording in my studio- no travelling. I need to be able to change heads quickly and use a variety of heads. When I got it had on it some very old heads in very bad condition.

The problem is that is it well neigh impossible to get modern heads on this drum. I labored for over an hour to get a powerstroke 3 on it without success.

Aside from using Aquarian Vintage heads, is there anyway to get this drum to accept modern heads? I have considered shaving a little off the two seems where the rap overlaps, though I know the collectors look dimly on this. But is there anything else that can be done?

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(btw: "seams", and "wrap")

Something smells funny, here. I have a set of 1970 red sparkle Ludwigs; I've had them since 1974, and in all that time I've NEVER had a problem getting 'modern' heads on them. I've certainly never had much (if any) problem getting good sound out of them either.

I suspect this drum was out-of-round. If the heads were very old and in very bad condition, then that means they've been on there WAY too long, which causes problems in itself. 'Collector's condition' is not necessarily a good thing...this generally translates into 'it's been sitting around without any real attention for far too long' or even 'the cat peed in it once but I got the smell out'.

If you want to use this drum, then don't be concerned about having the bearing edges treated. As a professional drummer best friend of mine says: "What good is having vintage drums around if you can't PLAY them?"

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

To clearify- modern heads not fitting a old drum is a common problem well recognized in the vintage drum world. It effects primarily pre 60s drums, particularly Gretsch round badge (with the Gretsch, up to about 1970). And it is spotty in that even within the same kit, some drums may be oversizes and some not. Old drums needing oversizes heads is the reason Aquarian developed their "American Vintage" series.

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

Hey, Wildplum:

Couple of things here:

1) Are the vintage heads that came on the kick not sound good? Believe it or not ... with the exception of specialty heads, ... there has been very little change in materials used in drum head production. I have actually had some older Remo Emporer bass heads that sounded killer!

2) One major contributor to the drum head fit problem comes from the fact that there have been spec changes to wrapped finishes since the 60's. Wraps used to be a thicker mil than they are now. Head manufacturers have adjusted to the change in thickness.

3) If you are considering any changes to the drum, seek out a professional drum builder to make those changes. You may be sorry if you do not. I have seen tremendous historic drums butchered by well-intentioned owners!

I do agree that drums were meant to be played!

Thanks,

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived