Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A good sounding splash cymbal??

Blue Strat

I'm going to get a splash cymbal, and I've got a particular sound in mind. I want a splash that sounds like the one that Primus drummer Tim Alexander uses. I've played around with a few splashes in Sam Ash, mostly 8" splashes. Thick or thin? Is 8" better than 10" or 12"?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bluestrat:

Here is the deal about Splashes. I have found that the thinner the cymbal ... the better the splash. And remember ... a splash is called a splash for that specific terminology.

Splashes do not have to be struck hard. They splash right through. The frequency range of most splashes allow them to cut like crazy.

I get more complements on the great sound of my 8 and 10 inch. I never strike them hard. They just need to be grazed and they sing out!

DJ

What do you guys think about the "Saluda" or Wuhan splash cymbals that are sold on E-bay? Are they any good? They're around $16 or so, and I'd think they'd be about the quality of my 12" Wuhan China (which I really like) but the tone is a concern.

Would I be better off finding a name-brand cymbal I want (Zildjan, Paiste, or Sabian) and saving up for it?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Mmmmm. Personally, I use K customs. The A customs are a little brighter. The K's have the sound that I like.

I'm sure people are a little reluctant to name brands or models because it's all pretty personal taste. You know, some swear by coke, others by pepsi.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

• 3 weeks later...

Go with the Wuhan 10". It sounds great. I think it's the best value out there. Personally I use a Sabian HHX Evolution 10" splash, and I've also used an AA 10" splash. Both are awesome, but more expensive. The Wuhan is crisp and has a twinge of chinese "flavor" to it, and I really like it. Get one today!

:)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

That's right. But if you can, avoid the catalog. Musicians Friend sent me an empty cardboard box instead of the Sabian HHX Performance Pack which I paid $650 for. I had to haggle angrily with manager after manager for weeks -- they kept blaming UPS, and vice versa -- before they finally sent me my merchandise.

The way I shop now is I take the catalogs to the music store and ask them if they'll match the price. (Or beat the price!) Guitar Center and Spitzer's Sound Stage both do. Then you can try before you buy, and no empty box!

Get the Wuhan.

:cool:

--Rush, "Limelight"

I would say a 16" K Zildjian Istanbul, thin thin thin thin thin.

16" is a splash in my book. 14" would work. Anything smaller, why bother.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

16" is a splash in my book. 14" would work. Anything smaller, why bother.

-----

Well, that depends on the music you play! Stewart Copeland was the king of splash when he played in The Police. Neil Peart uses them in Rush. I use them in church. John Bonham didn't use them in Led Zeppelin.

--Rush, "Limelight"

Ted, a 16" is a splash? Come on, that's a crash!

I'd say anything smaller than 12" is a splash. Splashes don't have any sustain, while crashes have LOTS of sustain. Or is that decay?

What the hell do I know? I'm a mediocre multi-instrumentalist, not a drummer. :D

Archived