Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chambers/Santana

tnb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Dennis with Santana on an A&E Live By Request special last year. He's been with him a year or so, possibly a little more.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Did anybody else notice that, judging by the fingering X the audio, Carlos was seemingly, like everyone else (most egregiously the Dixie Chicks) playing to pre-recorded tracks there at the S.Bowl?

Originally posted by offramp:

To be sure. I can't help but think he's bored, then.

Judging by his last MD interview, he's having a blast. I can't see him hanging around a boring gig, even if the money's good.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Oh, probably something like the last gig I saw him on...Mike Stern. Or...damn, I don't know...just something other than Santana.

To me, Santana's like the last hot dog at the back of the grill. Way overdone. Never liked him when he was 'fresh', don't care for him now. Whatever mystique or 'IT' he had at one point surely must be exhausted, let's stop the enduring rehash.

When I saw DC with Stern, during a solo he pulled off four different grooves, one with each limb, simultaneously, at somewhere around 128 bpm...while chewing gum and grinning his ass off. People were jumping up and down, stomping on the floor, and screaming 'HE CAN'T DO THAT!!'. It was like a worship tent, people flipping out and testifyng.

My views on Santana run to the contrary of 'the norm', I realize, but that's the way it is.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Offramp, I completely understand your views,

but he has had over 20 years of exactly the type of gig you described. It is very possible he just wants to kick back and play drums with someone he has admired his entire life while making a shitload of bread. Not a bad deal.

I loved the "last hotdog on the grill" anology, i'll be borrowing that.

"It is very possible he just wants to kick back and play drums with someone he has admired his entire life while making a shitload of bread."

Point taken. From the perspective of someone who can always learn from listening to DC, my position is somewhat selfish, I suppose.

Regardless, I'm still a bit disappointed.

come on guys... to play with raul rekow and karl perazzo!?! dc is having a blast kicking it with those guys-- monster chops and more importantly, monster grooves, ALL around. regardless of your views on the music, there is a lot of talent, soul, and groove throughout that band. check out the modern drummer interview.

It seems to me there's a subtle suggestion here that "simple" music (like you might "kick back & groove to") is less valuable than "complex" music.

That sort of thinking led to a lotta noise during various times...actually a lot of music that seems easy is really as difficult to play properly as what seems complex.

We must remember that music is a matter of reaching people artistically; it's not really about showing chops.

Originally posted by george costanza:

It seems to me there's a subtle suggestion here that "simple" music (like you might "kick back & groove to") is less valuable than "complex" music.

That sort of thinking led to a lotta noise during various times...actually a lot of music that seems easy is really as difficult to play properly as what seems complex.

We must remember that music is a matter of reaching people artistically; it's not really about showing chops.

Well said!!

Each of you have made great points.

Musicality- Great music ... plain and simple. Santana may not be "your" style, but the music is simply great quality.

Groove- Correctamundo! He gets to groove

Jam with the Masters- nuff said 'bout that.

Money! Dang Straight! He is makin the dough with that gig.

But each of you overlooked one important aspect that many of us over look as drummers /musicians ...

MARKETING/EXPOSURE

As a drummer, Dennis just keeps stacking the deck in his favor by playing with Santana. In this volitile market-place ... where the entire music industry is suffering, the more high-exposure gigs you play ... the more gigs you get the pleasure of saying .."Gee ... I'd love to play on your tour Madonna, but ... I am already booked to play with the next Jackson reunion tour! "

DJ

"It seems to me there's a subtle suggestion here that "simple" music (like you might "kick back & groove to") is less valuable than "complex" music."

george, you are so right...this was not my intention, and it certainly isn't how I feel. There are plenty of examples of 'simple music' that suit me just fine, and there are plenty of examples of 'complex' music that annoy the shit out of me. It's a very intricate position I'm coming from, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm short on accurately and eloquently stating it. Let's try this:

* The number of players who can play with the kind of frightening skill that DC exhibits is proportionately very small; as I said earlier, I ALWAYS learn something from him when I listen. Santana's music seems so uninspired, so stagnant to me, that it seems a bit of a shame to pair these two. Yes, there's a bias involved, but I'm trying to show that the bias is NOT central to my point. I'm probably not doing a very good job, but I've tried my best.

Plus, I'm not flush with time at the moment. :(

Archived