Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Resonant Tom heads with a hole

CFS

Hey so I recorded a pretty famous drummer a while ago who was using toms with holes cut in a perfect circle and it sounded fantastic(mostly cause he sounds great playing any drums) who if anyone makes the drum heads that have this and i imagine since i am someone who isusually really into low tuning on toms that wont be aproperiate with this setup????? Any clues????

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, CFS:

Interesting. This practice was very popular in the early thru mid 1970's. It was popularized by infamous drummer Hal Blaine who played on just about every AM radio hit of that era. Bottomless head toms became "the" thing during that era, and Ludwig's last big heyday was when they (with Hal Blaines help) produced the Melodic Tom series in that same time.

The practice of cutting out the bottom head was simply to allow drummers to maintain the look of the double headed tom, while achieving the sound of the single headed tom.

I have not seen many drummers do this in a very long time. It produces a very non-resonance "boxey" sound, ... where the melodic tone of the drum is very evident.

What "famous" drummer were you recording?

DJ

Archived