Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning Latin Percussion

Wewus432

My three favorite sounds in the world are-Guitars, Analog Synths, and Latin Percussion. I'd like to learn to play Latin Percussion myself. Where would you start? With bongoes? Take lessons? I think I have a good sense of rhythm but don't really know any of the techniques involved in playing hand percussion instruments. Thanks guys.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wewus :

There are many on the market, but one of the better instructional "beginner ... to medium player" video and book sets on Latin Percussion is by Glen Caruba.

Do a Google search by his name for the titles. He has several out.

DJ

I'd suggest listening to recordings that feature the elements that you want to explore, Stephen, even checking out the seemingly pedestrian "encyclopedia" types of things that might seem musicically uninteresting or cliched, at first.

What you really want to do is learn the traditional building blocks of the style, right?

Listen to these things & notate the basic "licks" of the clave & how they are used in the playing, not only of percussion but other instruments.

The actual skills of playing the conga/timbale/etc., are more easily learned---as it is for all instruments--- if you are learning the proper material & understand how to put the rudiments into use, rather than learning them just as exercises.

PS, how does the ukelele fit into this? ;)

I don't know the names of any good instructional videos, but there are some out there. I've got a great book called "Salsa Guidebook for Piano & Ensemble" by Rebecca Mauleon. It's very detailed, and gives examples of what each instrument might play in many different afro-cuban styles. It's not really a "percussion technique" book, but worth a look.

Also, get some recordings and listen to the players. A great one to start with is

Cal Tjader's Latin Concert

The conguero is Mongo Santamaria, and Willie Bobo plays timbales (Willie's son Eric plays kit & percussion with Cypress Hill, and has toured & recorded with the Beastie Boys). These guys are two heavies that played with Puente and everyone else. Also- Bass: Al McKibbin; Vibes: Cal Tjader; Piano: Vince Guaraldi (yes, that one). It's a live recording, and the arrangements are simple- it's easy to hear what each instrument is doing.

In Afro-Cuban music, there are "levels." At certain points in the tune, each percussion station has a different job. The conga's main groove is a simple tumbao (slap on 2, tone on 4), and other sections change to a busier tumbao (add 2nd drum, and 4+). The timbales play cascara, a rythym on the sides of the timbales, then to the bell (uh, cowbell ;) ) often with a low timbale hit on 2+. Then to the cymbal. Bongos have a pattern for verses (martillo- basically hi slaps on 1 & 3, and lo tone on 4- martillo means "mark," it's marking the time), plays lots of fills in the choruses, and switches over to the BIG bell (Bongo Bell) for the rip-roaring, freakout solo/chorus sections (called "mambo sections").

That's just a quick rundown.

Don't get me started on "Latin Percussion" from Brazil.

:wave:

----------

Oh by the way- just so you can sound cool, the "bongoes" are actually called "bongo." Singular. As in "Wewus plays the bongo." You can be super-cool by pronouncing it "bon-GO."

Archived