Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hand and Back Pain

James479

Hey there, a few days ago I started experiencing a severe pain in my right thumb between the 1st and 2nd joints. I'm ok playing for maybe the first 5 minutes, but no more, after that the pain just gets worse as I play, and by 10 minutes of playing I can't even grip the stick anymore. Any ideas or solutions on this? One other thing, not quite as important though. The same day my thumb pain started happening, something went wrong with my back. Something, about 2/3 of the way down my spine kind of popped or cracked, and since then its felt like its needed to be cracked or popped back into place, which I have tried to do, unsuccessfully. Its still bearable while playing, although I'm afraid if I keep playing with it like that, it may damage it worse. Do we have any doctors in the house? Thanks all and happy holidays!

James

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James:

As a more civil approach to this delimma than Capone's; a question: Are you stretching out before you play? You need to make sure that you are doing some hand stretches before you rehearse or play.

You really need to make sure that you are doing this. Additionally, you need to make sure that you are holding the sticks with proper form. If you are gripping too tight, you may be experiencing cramping.

Another consideration: I was suffering from charlie horses recently while playing ... and even in my sleep. Found out that I had a potassium deficiancy that causes muscles cramps. Bananas and potassium vitamins have caused these to go away.

Hope any of this helps.

DJ

wow, if it hurts that much, and it doesn't go away, maybe you should start with an x-ray. Your thumb may be fractured or broken.

Many hand and wrist pain situations are caused by not allowing the stick to naturally rebound. Are you "forcing" or "overdriving" your right hand?

is your Band too loud? not enough cymbals in the cans? those are the types of things that make you overplay to try and get some more volume. Not letting the stick rebound gets you a little more volume and a lot more shock to your hands.

As for your back, it is ultimately MORE important than your thumb even if your thumb hurts more right now. There may even be a connection: Chiropracters say problems with specific vertebrae affect specific parts of your body.

If your back pain persists, you might be interested in checking out something like the Alexander Technique. Unlike Chiropractic or massage, it is in the form of Lessons which teach you the proper use of your spine to _prevent problems. My Alexander teacher gave me some lessons at the drum set which led to me changing the positioning of my chair and some of my drums- all to the better.

My first comments would be that you need to get advice from a medico rather than well-meaning but un-skilled posters here....but what doctor?

That is a problem for which musicians (& others)often have to settle for help from those who may not be particularly knowledgeable about treatments that address the particular stresses involved.

In that regard I offer this reference injuries/pain & musicians

There may be some particular organization within the cited thread that may help you find a relevant doctor in your vicinity.

Beyond that, I would point out that the ailment you describe at your spine might cause a problem (though that would generally be further down in your body---legs).

A good thing for everyone is to maintain a daily streching program that includes all muscles in the body.

Stretching is more vital than exercise, per se, as it helps keep tension down & maintains a limberness that can keep things like this from occurring.

Your hand issue and back issue ARE connected...and yes, your back pain IS quite as important.

My father-in-law is a Rolfer, and he is responsible for me walking, standing, and sitting as well as I do now. I highly (and strongly) urge you to research the Rolfers practicing in your area, talk to them, and visit the one you feel most comfortable with. When David was done with my sessions, I realized just how out of whack I had become, and had to re-adjust everything--my workspaces, my drumstool, etc.--because my skeleton had gradually settled into misalignment. It's a common thing for way too many people, especially if they don't stretch on a regular basis, as djarrett said.

You're now at a point where you'll have to re-think how you're doing things, and pay very close attention to the ergonomics of your life. It's not a 'suck' position to be in, rather it's a good one, because it's centered around awareness, awareness you'll be unbelieveably thankful for in ten or twenty years.

Rolfing, as a practice, suffers from some of the same misconceptions as, say, chiropracty. It is not quackery, but there are quacks, and they ruin the image of the ones who do good. I urge Rolfing over chiropracty mainly because Rolfing involves working at the level of muscle and connective tissue, breaking them loose and allowing them to return to where there supposed to be, as opposed to just popping some bones back in place, where they'll be pushed around again by muscles out of whack.

I apologize if I sound like an advertisement, but I'm a believer in it because I have been helped drastically by it.

A good start would be to really look hard at how you're sitting, how your kit is arranged, and your overall set ergonomics.

Hope this helps.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

djarret, get back to us on what you find.

If anyone else is interested, I have more thoughts and info to share. But I will say this: EVERY limb and appendage is connected to and affected by the spine and back; your body is infinitely more integrated than we're led to believe, so don't assume that a pain in one area isn't affecting something else.

(edit)

Here's a Google page to start with, drawn from 'Structural Integration'

Structural Integration

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived