Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wuhan 12" China

Blue Strat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey, blue..

I have 21" Wuhan china that's just wicked!

Personally, I mount mine with the edge turned down. I find I get more variety (sound/texture-wise) that way, i.e. a "smoother" attack when struck on the edge, a rude bang laying in to it on the bow (about 3" in from the edge), and an edgy, ride cymbal alternative when played between the bow and the cup (not a lot of sustain, mind you, but you get some serious articulation).

You can try it with edge turned up, experiment and find what works for you.

One caveat: you'll probably chew through sticks a lot faster whackin' at the upturned edge...

(that's another reason why I turned mine over!)

Originally posted by drumtek:

hey, blue..

I have 21" Wuhan china that's just wicked!

Personally, I mount mine with the edge turned down. I find I get more variety (sound/texture-wise) that way, i.e. a "smoother" attack when struck on the edge, a rude bang laying in to it on the bow (about 3" in from the edge), and an edgy, ride cymbal alternative when played between the bow and the cup (not a lot of sustain, mind you, but you get some serious articulation).

You can try it with edge turned up, experiment and find what works for you.

One caveat: you'll probably chew through sticks a lot faster whackin' at the upturned edge...

(that's another reason why I turned mine over!)

I think that I came to the same conclusion. I mounted mine with the edge turned down. It doesn't replace my ride, but it's a nice alternative. Now I've just got to get another cymbal stand!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I also have mine turned down. I find that when I play Jazz, it sometimes sounds cool to lightly ride the cymbal. But mine is a 16" RAN CAN. So I use it as a crash and lightly play it on the curved side of the cymbal for some designer type sounds in a few Jazz songs. It is more of a harsh sounding cymbal with a quick response that dies very quickly. I paid $50.00 for it a few years ago.

I also have a Paiste 20" china mounted with the edge down on that one too. It has a longer sustain and I also use it both ways in Jazz.

Jazzman :cool:

Just to extend this thread, I would suggest mounting the cymbal using a AQUARIAN Cymbal Spring (yellow; heavy). Since the WUHAN China's are delicate, I've found that the spring has enough give to the china, keeping it from resisting the stroke when I play, and freely vibrating.

Just wanted to suggest that you look into that. With the smaller sized WUHAN, you might want to use the lighter spring (red: medium). The cymbal will move around a lot more, but the heavy spring may be too ridged for such a small sized cymbal.

I saw that www.steveweissmusic.com is blowing out their 18 inch WUHAN China cymbals for $35.00.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey bluestrat, same with me..........both of my sons in college are making me poor too!!!!!!!! :D

Study hard in school......Opps there is the father thing comming out again! Sorry!

A friend of mine said when he was in college he and his friends had "white" days. They would eat all white foods. Popcorn, rice, etc. when they were running out of money. :wave:

Jazzman :cool:

Good point, Bartman... I have both size cymbal springs, the big one on the Wuhan (naturally) & the small one holds my 14" Zildjian Hi-boy china.

& Steve (Weiss) definitely does some great pricing. If Pro Drum Shop here in Philly doesn't have what I need in stock and I don't feel like waiting, I'll trip over the Steve's... the man has everything!!

Hey, Thought I would add to the conversation!

Bart is correct about the Aquarian Spring. Another alternative is to use a Drum Workshop stand that has an adjustable tilter depth on the tilter. You can screw the cup up and down to adjust the height of the threaded center. It makes for an easy job of tear down and set up. I also us their quick release tops (replaces the wing nut). Most folks do not even know they exists because you can only find them at specialty drum only shops (like Fork's Drum Closet).

Regarding Wuhans. BlueStrat. Never apologize for being on a budget. We are all drummers here ... and quite sensitive to living on budgets! :)

Actually, the Wuhans are the most authentic Chinese cymbals that exist today. You have done well. My experience has been that the thinner the Wuhan, the better it sounds.

I actually temporarily deafened my bass player on tour in the 80's with a Wuhan once!

Nasty and Trashy, ... like a Chinese cymbal is supposed to sound!

DJ

I really like the 12" Wuhan, but I think that a bigger one would sound even better! I tried a 14" that was great, and I wonder about a 16" Wuhan China.

Have any of you tried the Wuhan splash cymbal? I really like the sound that Tim Alexander from Primus gets with the splash he uses.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived