Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Yamaha HipGig?

bassdrummer

Any comments about the Rick Marotta or Al Foster HipGig kits by Yamaha? I'm interested in both but have not played either one. Haven't been able to find them in stores. I like the bigger sizes and the hardware package of the Al Foster kit but just wonder how it sounds. Has anyone compared the two HipGig kits side by side, or played one or the other?

FYI, here are the dimensions of the 2 kits:

1. Rick Marotta HipGig

Bass drum: 16 dia. by 20 deep

Toms: 10 by 5 and 13 by 7

Snare: 12 by 5

Hardware: 2 cymbal boom arms, triple tom holder mounted on bass drum(holds the cymbal boom arms and 10 inch tom), Hi Hat stand, "Floating Bass Drum" suspension system, 2 tom mounts to connect snare and 13" tom to bass drum, kick pedal, wooden cylindrical throne which doubles as a hardware case.

2. Al Foster HipGig Sr.

Bass Drum: 18 dia. by 22 deep

Toms: 12 by 6.5 and 14 by 8.5

Snare: 13 by 5

Hardware: Adjustable throne, 2 straight cymbal stands, single tom holder mounted on bass drum, Hi Hat stand, kick pedal, 2 tom mounts to connect snare and 14" tom to bass drum, "Floating Bass Drum" suspension system.

Thanks,

bassdrummer

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys,

Any particular reason for voting for the first one?

-smaller drums?

-better finish? (it does come in a nice cherry wood finish)

-anything else?

Have either of you played this kit yet?

Thanks again!

--Rush, "Limelight"

Rick Marotta HipGig.

I thoughts are ... if you're going to make it nestle, etc., let's do it right and get the sizes that go with the concept. For me, getting the larger size seems like ... well, what's the point. If you're going that big, just bring your regular kit.

I guess I'm looking for the compact concept, in addition to a particular sound. I don't need a regular sized HipGig kit ... because I'll just use my regular kit for that.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the HipGigs. Meanwhile, I've been busy emailing back and forth with Ayotte, Orange County Drums and Percussion, MRP Drums, African American Drums, Yamaha, DW, Pearl, Premier, and other companies about building me a maple HipGig style kit with a custom finish. Interesting so far!

bassdrummer

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived