Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are your thoughts...

Cowbell

Hey all you drummers out there. I happened to wander in here by accident,but then decided I might have a question for you. What are your thoughts on Ginger Baker? I'm a huge Cream fan, and always thought his playing was really good. However, I've never really heard a drummers opinion on him before. So... if you guys could tell me a little of what you think about him, that'd be so cool of you.

Also, what are your thoughts on what makes a drummer good. Like, John Bonham for example. I never thought he was that great, but earlier on I heard you guys talking about him on high regards. I think I heard he fell behind the beat alot and some other stuff that wasn't that great, but I was just curious.

Any of your comments would be appreciated!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Cowbell Allen:

You have mentioned drummers that were all distinctive in the sound they created.

Drummers do not necessarily have to be Dave Weckls to become great drummers in my opinion.

Their portrait within the band is essential in establishing that band's signature sound. That is totally important regarding all the drummers you mentioned.

They were all guys like us, ... just drummers that landed in a band that made it. WIth that, they became known. Their drumming skills never took them there, ,,, just the fact that they were great drummers in great bands.

DJ

Hey cowbellallen!

Fancy meeting you here in drum land!

Thanks again for all your carvin bass amp advice -- I must say you and others helped convince my wife to spring for the green AG100. Greenboy will be proud.

You asked some great questions! I must apologize on behalf of the drummers for not getting back to you sooner.

(Thanks DJ for coming to the rescue. By the way, Dave Weckl's new Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals are the ultimate! And they even came with his latest signature sticks!)

About Ginger Baker: He is awesome. Great innovator of melodic tom parts and "jungle beat" sound, someone who kept the rhythm powerful and interesting, even unpredictable, instead of just 2 and 4 on snare. I love "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Tales of Brave Ulysses."

About John Bonham: He is awesome. Incredible and powerful foot. He did stuff with a single pedal that most people can't duplicate with two. He had an uncanny sense of space, inserting rests and stretching them to create tension and anticipation which supported the song. Worked seamlessly with John Paul Jones to forge a groove that was massive and solid, yet musical and complex. And you've got to love the gong.

What do other people think?

What do you think about Keith Moon? (The Who)

Stewart Copeland? (The Police)

Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks? (James Brown)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived