Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are your favorite sticks?

Blue Strat

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a huge Vater fan too. I've been using their 3A's with a nylon tip for a couple of years now. For the music I play, they're great. I'm a big fan of Vic Firth mallets though. Isn't John Blackwell Prince's new drummer????

Peace out!

I like using a set called "Studio" by Vic....I think that's right. These sticks are very light weight......I like them for Jazz work in the studio.

I also use as favorites, Steve Gadd, and Dave Weckl sticks. I use Daves most of the time.

I have Promark 7a's that are equally nice, thinner in the hands.

Jazzman :cool:

I find I need different sticks for different styles- not just for volume

For jazz I use the Gadds a lot, but when you need to lower the volume and still get some rebound nothing beats the Vic Firth Peter Erskine model.

For rock playing I have tried them all and I keep coming back to Regal Tip Rocks. their quality control stinks, and I have to spend a lot of time in the store- rolling and choosing, but they always feel like "coming home" to me.

i do not really consider myself a weckl fan but his sticks are balanced the best in my opinion where you hand naturally wants to hold the stick seems to be the balance point which makes the stick feel very controllable so you do not have to fight it i do not know of any other stick where this is true to such an extent then there is the will calhoun telephone poles which are the opposite so maybe some people like that and have opposing requirements for sticks

Versatility and variety for me. For sensitive playing, I use the Vic Firth Peter Erskine with the tiny round ball tip. For more volume, with great control, I use the Vic Firth 5a Extreme nylon tip (just a little bit longer than standard 5a's for more reach).

bassdrummer

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived