Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New movie coming out: The Drum Line

Dan South

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught wind of this movie almost a year ago on Pearl's web site.

It looked promising. . . then I saw the promos on tv last week.

Kinda disheartenting. . . a drummer's version of the movie "Bring it On!"

I'll probably see it n-e way. . . :eek:

Yeah it's all about the handsome, super cool guys in the school marching band- the incredibly hip music they get to play- the totally non-dorky uniforms they get to wear and all the campus-wide respect and hot chicks associated with marching band. (as opposed to the boring old football team)

In other words, it's Science Fiction! :D

My only beef with it is that this movie is not showing what is the majority of "drumlines" in the country today. That style (show band) is just in a small group.

Drumlines like in DCI (http://www.dci.org) are definately the majority and I'm afraid that this movie will give people the wrong ideas about real drumming.

Donnie

PS....those guys technique stinks too!

Hey, Donnie:

While I understand ... and even to some degree, share your concern. The truth is, ... this type of school band program (which we called big 8 when I was growing up) is an art (and a dying one at that) all into itself. It is an extremely entertaining form of band show.

I marched a top 12 drum corps and realize your feelings regarding stigma, impression and technique, but that is what this movie is trying to protray. The very cool thing, is that the drummer that is the star of the show had piddled around with drum sticks, but had to endure some intense training to play and execute the role he was playing (no stunt doubles for drummers!)

DJ

Archived