Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New to forum and drumming

Blue Strat

Hi,

I'm new to drumming and just bought a Ludwig Rocker Elite set a few months ago. I really like it, it came with cymbals, Paiste 502's. Are these good cymbals?

The hi-hats don't sit with the edges flat together, but with my foot on the pedal they're OK. Is that normal, or not? The crash sounds great!

I'm into rock, like Clutch and Soundgarden. I really love the sound of the drums on "Super Unknown" How can I get my toms and snare to sound like that?

Thanks,

:wave:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi bluestrat, welcome to the forum great to have you aboard.

I'm not familiar with the set that you have. I have a 7 piece Pearl Export set myself. I use Sabian's for the hats, Zildjians for the rides and Chinas, and Paiste and Wuhan's for the crashes.

The Hi-hat cymbals should meet each other all around. My do. It is not normal. But 502 cymbals are a Bronze type and are a thinner and a cheaper type of cymbal. They just don't lay flat. But most drum shops that sell drum sets usually give you the cheaper stuff with the set so at least you can practice, and have fun with the set.

Ludwig has been around a real long time. Many years ago I had a Lidwig snare, best one I ever owned, sounded great. Cost $250 in the 60's. I sold my first drum set when I got married(Dang!).

Some of the other folks here will chime in and give you some additional information and advice. Ask away, we all like helping each other out.

Have fun with the new set and "Stick" around here for a while. Great group of people. I wouldn't worry about the hats. Give them a good work-out. There will be a day when you will be shopping again, like most of us, and get additional gear. WOW! Did I say that! :D

Peace, my friend.........

My fade-out.........

Jazzman :cool:

Originally posted by Jazzman:

I'm not familiar with the set that you have. I have a 7 piece Pearl Export set myself. I use Sabian's for the hats, Zildjians for the rides and Chinas, and Paiste and Wuhan's for the crashes.

But 502 cymbals are a Bronze type and are a thinner and a cheaper type of cymbal. They just don't lay flat.

My set was used, so it's not all Ludwig. The hi-hat stand is Pearl, and it has a Gibralter throne (real comfy!). The ride cymbal is Sabian. I also got new heads with the set, Aquarian (white and brown stripes at the edges, for dampening I guess) and a white coated Remo snare head. It's all real heavy hardware, about 7/8" I'd say. $600 for all of it!

:D

Are the Wuhan pretty good cymbals? I tried one at Mars and really liked it, even tho it was only $40.

:thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Yes the Wuhan cymbals are good in my opinion. I only have one and it is a Ran Can 16". I tried the 18" and it had a more of a dead sound to it. I really like it for the quick release of the sound, really stands out. Mine was $50.

Is Mars going out of business? I thought someone mentioned on one of these threads that they were.

Checked out your set on the link, looks great. It looks like a good set too. I have Remo Pinstripe heads on my set, including the bass. Looks like you will have a blast playing on those. ;)

Have fun......

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Yes the Wuhan cymbals are good in my opinion. I only have one and it is a Ran Can 16". I tried the 18" and it had a more of a dead sound to it. I really like it for the quick release of the sound, really stands out. Mine was $50.

Is Mars going out of business? I thought someone mentioned on one of these threads that they were.

Checked out your set on the link, looks great. It looks like a good set too. I have Remo Pinstripe heads on my set, including the bass. Looks like you will have a blast playing on those. ;)

Have fun......

Yes, Mars is going out of business, unfortunately. I really liked their drum department, and the guys in the Charlotte, NC store knew their stuff. Chapter 7 bankruptcy, I think it was.

:(

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Hey, Guys:

Yes Mars is going out of business and that is a complete shame.

A Wuhan at $40 is a great deal. Wuhans are authentic Chinese cymbals that are imported. The *most* authentic and raw china there are!

In my opinion, the thinner the Wuhan ... the better the sound.

Welcome!

DJ

Archived