Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Always changing setup.

Brenton Trott

Reading the 'Vinnie colaiuta drumsticks got Lighter??? ' thread, 'era music' mentioned that he has been playing with these sticks for four years and this got me thinking.

I have just realised that I change sticks/size with every band I play with, I generally have lighter and heavier ones in my bag all the time (generally for louder/quieter gigs) but I find that one size will just feel better with a particular band (and it's not just a volume thing).

Secondly, I find that I have a different favorite cymbal with each band and this one gets a lot more use than the others. I realise that the pitch of the cymbal and the key to the song plays a large part in this but it is just something I had never really thought about before.

I also change the layout of my kit fairly regularly, often with the new band.

Just thinking out loud.

Any thoughts anyone?

Do you tend to change or do you always use same sticks/setup/cymbals etc. :)

Cheers

Brenton

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm back! Been extremely busy!

Hey, I change my setup all the time. Just saw a band on Conan the other night where the drummer had no toms in front of him. Only a ride cymbal over the bass drum. He had all the toms to the left and right of him. Pretty interesting setup!

I float my 10" tom directly over my bass drum pedal in front of my knee. It sits between the snare and suspended floor tom.

I find it a great place (there was an empty hole there anyway!) for the tom. Makes travelling around the drums a breeze!

DJ

It my not be a volume thing, but a tone thing.

Picking a certian cymbal that my be the favorite for the band would be the same thing. I think your picking out the cymbal that fits the sound of the group. You just graduated to Jazz playing. ;) That is what I do in the studio when I play Jazz. Your doing great! Good drummers do this all of the time.

I talked to a milwright one time when he was bending a piece of iron with a big hammer. He said he'll uses the lighter hammer to tweak it in next. He uses the same force to bent the metal but changed out the tool to get the right result with the lighter one.

I never changed my kit around, but I've done the same with sticks and cymbals in Jazz.

Just some coments.....

Jazzman :cool:

Yeah DJ, I used to have a cowbell in that spot I have never thought of putting the 10" there but that could be very cool. Might try that next time I get bored with the setup.

I have always wanted to try the centred drumkit, as in the hihat in the middle behind the snare then 10" to the left 12" to the right- 14" to the left then 16" to the right again. Of course to try this I would have to put both the hat and kick pedals on extension cables. Maybe one day when I have the spare money.

Hey Jazzman, I aggree with everything you say, I think the thing is that I always felt it was just a part of my learning curve always changing trying to get it right and I have just come to the realisation that this is the way it is and I will always change. And that is cool. :cool:

I played a gig on Saturday night that was my best ever so far. It's good to be a drummer. :thu:

Cheers

Brenton

• 2 weeks later...

Archived