Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Singing Drummers out there?

Rick K.

Hey, I'm looking for ways to make our singing drummer more comfortable. He's been complaining about the support he needs to sing that's not obtainable when sitting on a throne. Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks,

Rick

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A highly adjustable throne with a back (lumbar) support would be a good start if he doesn't already have one.

Also, he's probably using a headset mic right? Maybe try a regular mic on a boom with a gooseneck?

I used to have it coming over the top of my head. Kind of forces you to maintain good posture in order to reach the mic.

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Alan,

He is currently on a headset mic. I'll suggest trying a boom this weekend.

He wants to hire a drummer so that he can stand up and sing. He thinks that by doing so, he'll be able to sing 4-5 nights/week. Currently, he's fatigued after 3 nights.

I'm kinda resisting this change, but wouldn't be opposed if we can book more gigs.

Thanks for your imput!

Rick

Awww don't hire another drummer, singing drummers are so cool! :D

Our drummer sings. He uses a headset when playing the full kit. He's got a nice Roc-N-Soc throne and sets it up high. He and several other drummers I know believe in sitting up high on the throne, saying it helps their posture while drumming as well as their singing.

My band also sometimes does coffeehouse or small pub gigs where our drummer just plays a kick, snare and one cymbal (no hi hats), and he plays standing up. At those gigs he uses a boom mic. He says it's a lot easier for him to sing that way than sitting down at the kit, and it's a pretty cool way to get a variety of different gigs. When we do the coffeehouse type gigs he also sets up in the front with the rest of us, which is cool visually and gives him a chance to be in the spotlight.

Still, he gets off the most on beating the crap out of the full kit in a rock club, so he doesn't shy away from that either. It's a little bit more difficult to sing but he just deals with it. Between that and the more laid back coffeehouse gigs his voice doesn't get worn out.

Excellent point about throne height Lee. I also position my throne in a higher than average height. I think this is due to the fact that my first drum throne was actually one of those grey, 4-legged shop stools! Proper posture is crucial for good vocal control and longevity. And a side benefit of the higher throne height is that it can help people actually see who's singing!

Another thing that might help enlarge the drummers "comfort zone" while singing is to make sure he has super good vocal monitoring.

Floor monitors are fine but I have a small, self-powered spot monitor (with its own volume control) mounted on a stand at about ear level. I place it on the far side of the hi-hat, 3 - 4 inches above it, pointing directly at my head.

I have floor monitors too but because of all the drum & cymbal stands, they're always kind of behind me. Still need 'em though to get the low end!

Anyway, if he can hear himself really, really well, maybe he can back off on his effort to project his vocals & maybe keep his voice in shape to sing for those 2 additional nights...

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Great call on the monitoring, Alan! Could you describe your spot monitor in more detail? As in brand/model? Our drummer rarely complains about monitoring even if it's pretty crappy, but I know he'd be happier with a nice consistent monitor. And I'm always looking for more nice things to do for our drummer. :)

The biggest problem I've found with drumming/singing at the same time is that you tend to push yourself harder than normal because you are singing and trying to hear yourself while you are in the midst of a drum rig and have a lot of banging and clanging going on around you...

When you are standing and singing without drumming and you have a good monitoring system, its easier because you dont have drums blasting you in the face....

In other words, if you are singing and playing a kit, lets say you hit a high note while you are crashing a cymbal...that cymbal crash, no matter how good your monitoring system is, is going to mess with you inner ear and you ability to hear yourself...as a result, you push and try to sing harder to overcompensate...

You really have to discipine yourself to not "oversing" while playing a kit, because this "oversinging" will tire you out and really shoot your technique to hell...

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Great call on the monitoring, Alan! Could you describe your spot monitor in more detail? As in brand/model?

It's a "Hot Spot" made by Galaxy Audio. Actually, it isn't self-powered (amplified), it just has an on-board attenuator. I've had mine forever & it's taken quite a beating over the years but still works fine.

Carvin makes a similar product though I can't vouch for it.

I'd like to try in-ear monitoring when drumming (or up front playing guitar for that matter) but haven't had a chance to yet...

Cheers,

AT

I'd skip the headphone mic, any head movements are going to cause phase hell with the sound of the kit.

Ditto on gates. Let it bleed!

My throne is as high as it can possibly get. I believe in bicycle-style advantages to playing bass drum with a leg at more than a 90 degree angle. Also good posture for singing, or it helps.

Singing and playing drums is one of those things where you have to reach a minor transcendental plateau to carry it off. The good side- no time for ego tripping!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I understand what y'all are saying, except I should perhaps enlighten you to what he's playing on. When we do small clubs he's playing a Yamaha DTXtreme drum kit with Yamaha and Roland modules, so I'm not worried at all about bleed. Last night I put him with both in ears and two floor monitors, and he seemed happier. He still believes that he can go from being a comfortable 2-3 night singer to a 5 night/wk singer if we hire a drummer and he's able to stand up in front.

I dunno.

Rick

I think that your drummer needs to decide; "do I want to be a singing drummer ... or a front man!?!"

If he wants to remain a singing drummer ... he needs to improve his feeling a part of the music. I recommend inner ears ... and a Butt Kicker II. See my comments from a review I did of the product for GIG magazine at their site:

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/press_home.html

This will give your drummer the most incredible connection with the music.

Addtionally, your drummer needs to recognize his voice as an additional limb in his playing.

If he struggles with singing rhythms while playing, ... he needs to take a book like Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer and apply his voice as one of the independent rhythms. This will help him with training his mind so that his voice can sing independent of the other rhythms being played by his hands and feet.

Sounds complicated, ... however no. This comes naturally for many. For some ... it comes quickly when recognizing and working your voice into your practice routine.

Hope this helps.

DJ

About 10 years ago the band I was in was recording and we had a part of a song that needed vocals. Our singer couldn't come up with anything so I said, hey I'll do it. Well it went on the album and I thought it was cool until I had to sing live. It was always a hassle for me live because the boom stand would get in the way, It was one more thing I had to sound check and worry about, I rarely had my vocals in my monitor, etc, etc....

After that tour I never volunteered to sing again unless it was something I knew I wouldn't have to do live.

I really do respect the drummers who can do it and enjoy it.

Archived