Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evans or Aquarian heads?

oremug

I finally decided that I don't like Remo heads anymore, they are very inconsistent. I've used them for years and I'm making the switch. I have tried an Aquarian on the snare, and it sounded great, but I don't have any experience with Evans heads. Which do you prefer and why. Thanks for the info.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Well I've spent some time and money trying out Evans and Aquarian heads and IMO the Evans heads seemed to be very close to Remo, the Aquarian heads without a doubt are very consistant, very durable and have a very nice sound. Now that I have the perfect heads for me, its time to find the perfect drumstick, I guess that should be another thread, I just switched to Vater and I'm very impressed with the plastic tips, they don't break like they used to.

oremug:

I think this really comes down to personal taste and playing setting. I know drummers in Nashville that keep collections of heads ... and mount heads based on the musical application. They may use a Remo coated for one situation ... and may replace all heads to Evans clear for another setting. Some of these guys have a mix of all kinds of heads on their set. (shhh ... and some of these guys endorse a particular brand of head!) ;)

I even know drummers ... including myself ... that believe that some heads can be duds. I hold each head I buy up by the crimp ring and thump the head. If it rings out, then I know I got a good head. If it thuds dead, ... then it is a dud!

Remember ... there are really no right answers here.

Keep an open mind.

DJ

Archived