Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KEITH MOON TOMS!

ray dsr

Anyone know how they/he got that raw tom sound on the early records? How about the snappy yet kickass snare on My Generation? Drums just don't sound like this anymore. I've tried lots of different techniques, but can never quite get it.

-ray

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may not really help but here goes...

The info about his kit/ drum sizes/ etc may be hard to come by since in those days basically nobody cared to keep track of that sort of info.

You may be as well off scrutinizing photos & trying to estimate.

The recording conditions were certainly (comparatively) primitive---probably all live to a stereo/2 track machine (maybe a 4 track). Any overdubbing or solo tracking would've been devoted to vocals or lead instruments.

The sound probably had most to do with the location of the few mics they used on the drum kit (like, I bet the mic for the snare/hi-hat/cymbals was close to the snare, hence the "killer" sound) X the tonal character of the studio board & EQ equipment.

Shel Talmy, noted US "hit" producer imported to England, not only did the early Who but also the Kinks; he probably used the same set-up on all the rock bands he recorded.

Here's a bit of related news:

The Who's debut LP, "My Generation", is being reissued in a remastered (by Shel Talmy) stereo version, with all the usual additions (alternate takes, contemporary singles & B sides, "studio chatter", etc.).

The original was, of course, mono; a 1968 vinyl version was "enhanced stereo" (that is, heavily EQed mono); & the previously available CD version was printed (pressed? pitted? what do you call CD production?) from that "enhanced stereo" mix.

Archived