Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drum heads- old vs new?

wildplum

What is the difference between new coated heads, such as the Remo Ambassador, and 30 year old coated heads? I can hear a difference, of course, and I can also see and feel a difference in the materials used. So I am wondering, just what are the differences in materials, construction and manifacturing?

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plastic does not age well, so even if they were made just the same, they will be different. New heads are much preferable when using plastic.

Old calf heads are still as good as ever.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Yeah I'm sure that a 30 year old head will sound different because of age, but I do wonder how much heads differed in the way they were made then vs. now. People try to duplicate vintage sounds with guitars, amps, drum shells that are reproductions of "vintage" models, but with drums that might all be moot if they don't make heads the same way!

There is nothing like a Evans Rock head. Of course they don't make 'em anymore. So I'll have to say old is better than new. I almost bought a drum set today, simply because of the heads on it. Turned out the bass was only 22 and I need a 24.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived