Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PLZ HELP ME TO CHOOSE A DRUM!

Shenga

hi, i'm a 17 year old guy from switzerland who started playin the drums some weeks ago and now i'll sell my piano to buy a drumset... i have two possibilities to buy a used drum:

1) Sonor Phonic Plus Hi-Lite

22, 12, 14, 16, 14 Snare (8 deep)

All Toms with Pinstripe.

14 Hi-Hat Paiste Formula 602 Sound Edge

16 Paiste 2002 Crash

18 Paiste 2002 Crash

18 Paiste 505 Crash

20 Paiste 2002 Power Ride

22 Zildjian Ride

10 Paiste Sound Formula Splash

---> with every accessoires like seat and foot-machines, for about 1350 dollars

2) pearl master series (sunburst)

22" bassdrum,10",12",14" toms

16" zildjan crash,sabian splash,paiste splash,paiste 16" crash and a ride from pearl

---> this would be without snare and hi-hat and for 950 dollars - i could have for more money a 13" snare (but it's not deep, about half as deep as a regular one... i wanna play grunge and punk stuff, is a snare like that okay?) and sabian hi-hats...

so what would you do? which basic set is better? and should i take this thin snare? are sabian hi-hats good (because i can pay it but if its not fine i would have better bought a new hi-hat for a bit more, not?)... thx and pls answer

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't advise you on the practical aspects of either set but I do have this advice: (especially relevant for the snare choice)---consider the type of music(s) that you want to play & the sound that you want to project.

If you know someone one able to make a reasonably accurate (dry, untreated) recording, have them tape you while you play both sets.

That way you don't have to try to make a qualitative judgemant while playing & you can compare the sounds of both kits.

Well, You are in luck.

I am doubtful about the Pearl Master's Series and the price ... as this is Pearl's top of the line series.

If you are correct ... then for the money ... it is a better buy.

Both kits are great kits, however ... and the money is right on for both.

The cymbals are all good.

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

Archived