Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help on Hiphop Hat Sequencing

COOLIE

when it comes to hiphop, I used to sequence the hats at ticks 0~160~240~400 on a 480ticks/quarter note timebase, but resently I found in Yamaha Midi files that they use 0~150~240~390. I can hear slight difference, but can't decide which is better, any suggestion?

(actually I also found that they put snare 5 ticks later all through the sequence)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Coolie:

And that information and data request ... all the way from China. That makes one from China and one from Yugoslavija in two days.

We are honored!

I hope we can get some feedback on your questions.

DJ

does it matter?

are you using the SAME hihat programming ALL THE TIME?

does it fit the track?

who are "they"....

man.... theres more important issues in music, even hiphop, the wondering about what other people think is better in hihat positioning

do you think timberland sits around crying into his hat cause a yamaha midi file was different to something he was doing?

no offence, but get back out and make your music.... fuck whatever some wack ass midi file is doing!

Originally posted by COOLIE:

when it comes to hiphop, I used to sequence the hats at ticks 0~160~240~400 on a 480ticks/quarter note timebase, but resently I found in Yamaha Midi files that they use 0~150~240~390. I can hear slight difference, but can't decide which is better, any suggestion?

(actually I also found that they put snare 5 ticks later all through the sequence)

When people offset a beat 5-10 ticks per minute like that, particularly on a hip hop beat, they're probably just trying to add a little bit of "feel" to the track by moving one or two drum sounds 'off' the beat. Changing a beat 5-10 ticks per minute won't make a track shuffle, but it will add a little bit of flavor and make the track sound like a real drummer playing a little bit ahead of or behind the beat.

The 0-160-240-400 pattern is a dead-on triplet based shuffle. The second example cheats the feel a tiny bit closer to a straight sixteenth note feel. In general, the faster the tempo. the more you cheat the to the straight side. That's what the jazz guys do.

"The second example cheats the feel a tiny bit closer to a straight sixteenth note feel.In general, the faster the tempo. the more you cheat the to the straight side."

BRAVO, dayvel! That's exactly the case! The sequence feels like a 16-beats that swings. It's somewhere well between straight and shuffle.

skinner_jrob, u r right too, I found that trigering snare a little bit later adds more shuffle feel to a hiphop groove. While trigering earlier may be good for straight patterns.

DRiLoad, I play guitar and do drums in sequencer, it's important for me to understand the effect of "Off-beats", and I'm pretty sure arrangers in Yamaha must have done the sequence that way for good reason, or they could use 0-160-240-400 pattern.

Thank u all guys for ur help!

Archived