Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nashville

sidereal

I know there are some folks (like DJ) who are familiar with the music scene in Nashville, so I wanted to ask for some first hand accounts as to what opportunities there are for drummers.

I'm fairly familiar with how things work there. I did a series of video-shoot interviews with some of the top producers there a couple years back -- Byron Gallimore, Jeff Balding and about 3-4 others. I know there is a LOT of music that gets produced there, but I also know that there are a lot of drummers as well. I'm wondering how much opportunity is there for a guy new to town, and if the gigs outnumber the people available to play them (or the other way around).

I ask this not on a whim, but in all seriousness (possible life change thing). I know that if you're a drummer in Nashville it might be hard to encourage yet another guy to come out. :) But if you're currently active in the scene, and could offer any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Just for the record.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sidereal:

I am having these same thoughts for another drummer friend that is considering a move to Nashville.

Unlike most drummers, ... I did not move to Nashville to play. I was courted to move to Nashville to be the number 2 man at Mapex when that drum line was being distributed and marketed by Gibson. (this eventually led to my running Slingerland for a couple of years).

I did not need to ... nor had to play. Any playing I did ... happened by accident. This has blossomed into a great career of drumming ... BUT ... do not get me wrong. I do not make a living by drumming. I DO make a living by working in the Music Instrument Technology industry. It just so happens that I play as well.

This is a key factor in moving to Nashville. If you move here to make a living playing ... be prepared to starve to death for a few years. (unless you are the next Pocaro ... or something). It is a tough row to hoe. There are so many folks here that came here to make it. EVERY WAITRESS IS A SINGER!!! EVERY BUS BOY IS A GUITARIST!!! (I guess all the drummers shack up with thier girlfriends!)

I would never pose to steal someone's dream. That is not my point of focus here. I just think one should know the reality of the situation here. There is for sure a click with musicians and those clicks have levels of acceptance. The "A" Team of players in Nashville have been here for many, many years making a living playing. It takes an act of the Almighty to get accepted into that click. But, there are many sub-clicks that you may find work in.

Additionally, I pass on many touring gigs all of the time. I have a home, wife, business, and job. The road is a hard way of life. And I say that even though every time I do go out for a 4 day ... or one week run, I love climbing on that Eagle or Prevost Couch!! It is hard to tour and maintain some simblance of livestyle. I have a great buddy that just started touring with a well known artist and within a very short time ... his wife of many years filed for divorce.

This makes it difficult.

If you want to tour ... come single and stay single. Live in a shack with roommates ... where you can come and go like the wind.

Hope this helps ... but does not spoil your enthusiasm.

DJ

Well ... I've had enough of dangling my toes in the water ... I'm DIVING IN!!!

The Elliott wagon train will be making it's way to Nashville on August 23rd to establish permanent residency.

http://baeproductions.net/images/emoticons/drummer.gif

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Originally posted by sidereal:

I did a series of video-shoot interviews with some of the top producers there a couple years back -- Byron Gallimore, Jeff Balding and about 3-4 others.

Where can I get that video? :)

Richard

Originally posted by Richard Hjemmen:

Originally posted by sidereal:

I did a series of video-shoot interviews with some of the top producers there a couple years back -- Byron Gallimore, Jeff Balding and about 3-4 others.

Where can I get that video? :)

Richard

www.digidesign.com

It was for the trade show movies that digi had at its booth. also part of a DVD that you can order from the site. also part of a section of the website devoted to Pro Tools users. You can read the story I wrote on Byron here: www.digidesign.com/users

Yes, a couple years back, I used to be part of the Digi Marketing Machine.

Just for the record.

I played music in Nashville (touring/studio)for 4 years. I left town Spring of '98 because I felt the Lord leading me back to my roots in Oregon. What helped me stay afloat was continually running my business on the side "Crosses by Brian, Inc." As far as the scene goes, seemed like there was tons of stuff going on in the Christian music industry and the country industry. But gee, There are all kinds of guys who have moved from NY and CA that aren't into either, more into pop, jazz, latin...I don't know. Kind of a huge melting pot, which is a blast! It was so refreshing to be in a sea of people loving the same things I did...Music! The area is beautiful too, ahhh...the humidity will rock your world, kinda like a pot roast.

Here are a few ideas...

1. Take the leap. There is much you can learn and experience by just going and having the attitude that things are going to work out. "Life change" is good!

2. Get into people. There is so much you can learn by just asking questions and listening. Relationships are really important.

3. Find a church. This advice was given to me as I first arrived in Nashville. I had just pulled in for the night at a hotel, my phone rang and it was my old youth pastor. He told me the first thing you do Bri, is find a church and go! After working several months at the GAP my manager envited me to an awesome black gospel church, "Born Again." That was what I needed. But not to "hook up." I needed spiritual food and a sense of family.

4. Make good financial decisions. Debt will slow you down! REALLY slow you down. I got into charging things and that sucked because the stress of paying the bills got more crazy as time went by. That will take the music out of anyone's world real quick.

5. Stay. What can you learn by going there for 12 months, or just visiting for the weekend? That's a drop in the bucket. You are just getting settled by that time. Upon my 4th year I was blessed to play with some great players and be a part of something that I only dreamed of. Playing drums for Glenn Garrett and Chris Rodreguez. Wow, that was fun, and reharsing for that gig? Hmmm, that was just as good...Like the best steak dinner I ever had. I often felt, gee, I can finally go home now.

6. Make things happen, don't let things happen to you. When you do show up and find a place to live, get a grip of what it is you want to accomplish. Make goals that are attainable and stick with it. If you can slowly chip away at a goal, before you know it, there it is!

7. Keep track of all those little pieces of paper with people's names on them. The awesome gig that I talk of came through me giving a bass player my name/# on the back of a gas receipt in a parking lot after playing a crappy (scary) venue one night. He didn't know half the songs, as he was filling in (the last guy on the list to call) but I NEVER made him feel stupid and he really took a liking to me from that day on, said I made him feel welcome in a really difficult situation.

8. Follow up with all those little contacts! EVERY one! Find a way to organize them. And... it's not cool to harass folks but every other month or so just call to yack and see what's going on in their world. I can't tell you how many times I've just let things slip through my fingers. I think I'm tons more on top of this area now than I've ever been because of my business. If I don't call people I don't eat. Period.

9. Have a business sense. I played great at an audition but didn't get the gig (I think) because I showed up late. Driving to the studio the night before, to get a lock on the address would have made the biggest difference in my level of stress. Walking in a room apologizing is not a cool way to start out! Ahhh, piss. This all comes down to just getting in the game and having your @#$% together. I sure didn't that day :confused:

10. Look around. I mean go to the mountains. Find someone to take you fly fishing. I found this cool store with kayaks and stuff...then signed up for this class. Man, that was so much fun, met some cool people, learned something new! Totally out of character for me. There's tons of landmarks to check out, many people to "get to know."

Bottom line is, I think you can do anything you put your heart into, no matter what the scene is or how many drummers there are out there.

So many dads don't say that to their boys. I was lucky, my dad sat me down one day and said, "Brian get out of here and go to a place where you can play. All you do is dream about it! You are constantly pounding on things, grinding your teeth with drum beats." That was all I needed and I was off, packed and pulling a trailer with my Plymouth Horizon accross the Nation. I wouldn't change a thing!

Pick up a book by a guy named John Eldridge "Wild at Hear." That book changed my world! I can't wait to apply things I've learned in that book to the way I make music.

Hope some of this comes to inspirational use...

What's your background?

|||Brian

My room mate just moved out to live in Nashville... a drummer. Has some connections, played in Reba McEntyre's studio a few times, very solid drummer with a lot of style. He'd be perfect for a lot of the neo-country acts out now, but I don't know how he's going to break into it exactly.

Which is a shame, because the guy *does* have a great feel and a very mature sense of pop style, but I don't know how he's going to get that across.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

The book is actually "Wild at Heart" by John Eldridge, not Wild at Hear. You can give me a call if you'd like to talk further about the leap!

|||Brian

pozzytrack@attbi.com

P.s. Moving to a new place might seem like such a weird deal 'cause you're the outsider looking in, "wondering if there's any place for me with my cool drum beats and big cheesy grin." Well, you REALLY aren't the only one! Most of the guys who became my best buds hadn't been there for much longer, if not less than me...

Friendships? Wow I've got some cool buddies!

> When I was on my death bed, sicker than ever, my buddy Phil came over picked me up took me to his place, gave me his room and slept on the couch for 4 days, fed me and got me back on my feet.

> When I didn't have a car for a bit, my friend Jesse gave me his old Chevy Nova for 3-4 months.

> When I didn't have a place to go for Thanksgiving (every year) this awesome family took me in like their own! They didn't have any gravy though, you might have to bring your own.

> The Lord made a way for me in the desert!

So when are you going to be unstuck (where you are)? I'm looking forward to moving back (Lord willing) with my wife, soon as we've POUNDED this debt load. Hey...anyone want to buy my SE Signature Sonor Bubinga, 11 piece kit?! It kicks butt and would get me one fox-trot move closer :thu:

Ha!

Archived