Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you look for in a music store?

Mike H.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The right guy behind the counter, in a real position to make you a killer deal, not just say his hands are tied.

I've known a few music store owners who got me seriously hooked on great deals on great gear, used stuff mostly. That and great service. I gave them a LOT of repeat business!

On bigger and bigger ticket items.

On the other hand, the ones that feel the need to make a profit off you on every last transaction, lose me pretty fast.

It's about- relationships!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Of course none of that means much to me personally unless the BEST is for sale in the store. There's very little in GC that fits that category, mostly discount junky stuff, some of which is very expensive indeed.

So have at least some truly class instruments at all times! Good taste!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

This is an interesting topic.

I have a story to tell you......

Years ago I wanted to start to buy recording equipment and build my studio. I went into a couple of music stores and started to ask questions about going with ADAT or DA88 gear. I went to one store in Ann Arbor MI and I was interested at this point on getting my heavy duty gear. Well I was put off for about an hour because this salesman decided to wait on other people and kept telling me he would be with me in a little bit. I waited, and waited, and finally left the store. I told them that I wanted a cost exstimate on some gear, but never was able to connect with them. They had the gear I was going to purchase. I ended up buying the gear from another store that gave me the time of day, gave me an excellent price and I bought $20,000 dollars worth of recording gear. I called up the first place and let them know that I was disatisfied waiting for prices, and a salesman to help me. I told him I guess you guys didn't think I was serious when I walked into the store. Of course he appoligized to me and wanted to make it up after I told them how much I spent in another music store. They sent me a quote, and "I'm sorry" letters.

So I've been using this new place for a couple of years, buying other equipment and talking to the manager about additional plans. They told me that I would recieve the same great discount being a good customer.

I had a client that was going to build a new studio and needed my help to put it all together, prices and all. The music store that I have gone to got the first crack of it. I gave them 3 weeks to come up with a price, and the material list. I told them if they couldn't come up with same I was asking for, to substitute their supported equipment as an alternate with a price. Week after week after week went by, still no answer. I kept talking to them to give me the price, no answer. I asked them if they realized how much was at stake, and they said that they new. At least $100,000 dollars worth as a start. I told these clients of mine how good these guys were and how I could get them a good deal.

After 3, months passing, I gave it up and backed out of the picture, and gave my client 2 other places that I was getting quotes from. They thanked me but that was it for having a dealer work with you. Since then I never went back to the store , called the owner and told him that his manager just blew a large deal.

I also found that a couple of times I was getting guitars, and drums for friends of mine, when I found out that the same guy that I was doing business with was trying to rip us off.

The initial gear that I purchased with these folks was infact an outstanding deal, because I had shopped around. What gives???

So I guess I would be looking for a friend that will give you some help in purchases once your established with them, as appreciation to bringing in new business. I brought in at least eight new folks to get turned on with this place, but no thanks when things became big for them.

I understand that everyone needs to make a profit, but when there is an established line of people comming in to purchase gear on the high end, there should be some sort of loyality and trust there don't you think??

Now I don't deal with them anyone, I just shop around take along a discount book and see if they can beat that deal.

In essence......someone that is willing to really help you out, is knowledgeable with the gear, and willing to put there arms around you and give you the best price that they can, make a profit but win your confidence for repeat business.

My nickel's worth............

Jazzman :cool:

Jazzman's story was so interesting ... he just wanted to tell it twice! LOL

Sorry man ... I feel your pain when you can't delete the double posts.

Great story by the way.

I didn't include Quality Gear in my list, because I assumed that it was a given ... but perhaps it's not.

One more thought. I want to go to a store that will allow customers to try stuff out. How am I supposed to buy a cymbal if I can't hear what it sounds like? Tapping is unacceptable ... I need to play it like I will when I use it. The same goes for drums, audio gear, etc. If the store is NOT equipped (with sound proof rooms or whatever) to accommodate the customer ... then don't sell the product ... open a hamburger stand or something.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Anymore, I do alot of shopping online.

I find that the local stores (of which I managed one big box .... used to be Thoroughbred Music, but became Sam Ash ... that is when I left) ... do not have the time of day for folks ... as Jazzman states.

Seems that they are understaffed, overworked, and that the "deal of the day" can be different for everyone ... and anyone.

Which brings up a good price. Why the heck do manufacturers even put a retail price on gear in the music industry anymore for? It is the only industry that I know of that applies a flea-market approach to sales.

You never would dream of walking into any other type of retail ... say CompUSA and asking ... "hey ... buddy ... what kind of price on this iMac?"

Anyone knows anymore that you can pretty much by cymbals and heads at 50% off at any store nationwide anymore. It baffles my mind.

We pretty much have cause much of our own suffering. Retailers make so little profit, that only the big boys can really stay afloat and make up the losses with multiple store volumn. Then they hire minimum wage clerks that only know how to throw on the power switch on gear. It is infuriating.

Yet I digress.

I think online is becoming a popular buying medium because you do not have to wait for some moron to wait on you.

Just my thoughts,

DJ

• 2 weeks later...
Drumming wise I always look for a store that has the sticks where I can try them without having to ask a guy behind the counter to hand me a pair. I often spend a while trying out sticks to get a pair that I feel is balanced. Plus if I am trying new models it takes a while. If I walk into a store and they have all of their sticks behind a counter I walk out.

• 3 months later...

Dj I think that a lot of stores cater to the local high school bands and rip off the general parent. I've seen guys go into a store for their son, and get really tuned up by the salesman. One guy walked out of the store with not only the item he came in for but he sprang for the best instrument, some lessons from the sales person, and some other gear not required for the novice.

There was a guy in the store that was given the brush-off by a salesman and I spotted this. This guy was needing some help with a drumset for his son. The guy was walking aroung with his son, and I happened to hear what his son wanted. So I walked over to the father and gave him some free advice and told him where a better deal was at another local music store!!

These store guys make me sweat! If your older, they look at you like your some sort of a jerk. Just because I don't have earings in the ear, and long hair that needs combed you don't get their attention. (No offence here folks), But in some other stores, the older seasoned guys do pay attention and help out. I don't know what some of these young studs are thinking......some sort of a mental gap here!!

Some of these salesman type folks need to be on camera to see how they treat the general public. A profit needs to be made but not to rip off Joe Public! There are a lot of high school kids that may take up the instrument seriously and buy some more stuff in that store later on in life. These people should be setting good examples for the fine art they are pandering.

I also knew an old fart of a guy when I was looking for a drum set years ago, he stuck with me to answer any questions that I had. He assured me of the outcome in a specific purchase that he suggested. I made that purchase and was completely satisfied with the results. It is the embrace of the sales person to the customer that gets my attention. Taking his time with the buyer.

Sorry Hoagie, but I had some bad experiences with seals people. Wrong place, wrong time.

DJ, that is where I think they make their profit.

My additional 1/2 cent, and my humble opinion..........

Jazzman :cool:

what I want in a music store from a drummer's perspective

sticks out of the bags so I can roll 'em and play 'em

OK to hit stuff loud like Bartman said

at least some of the drums and sets tuned and ready to play

big box of spare parts- not just new ones or "we can order it" but every piece of chrome stripped off of every used set that got traded in.

every brand of head in every size

things I didn't know I wanted- like a percussion toy or a new kind of mallet or a hip new book.

salesmen that are interested in selling me something not ignoring me while they yak to eachother about their gigs.

a place to put up a poster of _my gig

Good point joeq! I've seen that happen too with the guys standing around in a group just gabbing while the customers needed help.

Another thing I can't stand is gear not hooked up, or hooked up properly. I was looking at a couple of keyboards one time, and the amp was not hooked up, the cables and/or power cords were missing.

Peace..........

jazzman :cool:

Archived