Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zildjian wins high hats?

joe blow

Does it seem to you that Zildjian high hats are more popular with famous drummers today? When I think of high hats I think of Zildjian's new beats, quick beats, mastersound, K/Z, ect. I am not as familiar with Paiste and Sabian but they have to make something comparable to these models? I have heard that Sabian AAX is similar to the Zildjian K/Z. I know there are many exceptions, but in general, do you think Zildjian wins the high hat styles, popularity, and pricing?

-JOE

!@#$%^&*()

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Joe Blow:

HiHats are clearly a matter of taste. In today's marketplace, ... the big three (Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste) all make the best cymbals. One is not necessarily better than the others. It really depends on the style of music you play and the sound that you are after.

But, to answer your question more pointedly, yes, for years and years, Zildjian set the standard for today's cymbals.

DJ

Joe -

No question, Zildjian holds the lion share of the business, largely due to their long-standing position as top cymbal company.

I personally own 14" and 13" New Beat pairs; and used to teach on a kit that has Sabian AAX Stage hats - the AAX are a bit higher pitched than are the New Beats, but I'd be happy w/them should anything ever happen to my New Beats.

I play Sabian all round my kit, largely because I won an 18" AAX Stage Crash 10 years or so ago, and have been buying Sabes ever since.

I'd put Sabian right there with Z quality-wise, ahead of Z w/regard to product range - lots of excellent cymbals in S's line. Sabian also mops the floor w/Zildjian on low end cymbals.

Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian - all excellent stuff from good folks. Play what you like best!

Archived