Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone had any experience w/Remo's Coffee House drum?

larrytkennedyexcite.com

Has anyone on the forum owned or played Remo's Coffee House drum?

I am considering buying one for a low volume/sem-unplugged trio we're forming, but have never seen one in a store - only in Remo's and various drum shop's catalogs.

I have played Trilok Girtu's Kick/Conga, and was well impressed with that drum, but am interested in the "stand-up" approach to save space and make it easier to sing and play.

Any info would be helpful, but I particularly want to get feedback as to the BD sound, the conga sound, and the sound of the top head played with sticks.

Thanks!

:wave:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in this case it was an outdoor concert, I couldn't find any coffeehouse pics that show the full drum setup, but we DO play in coffeehouses with our drummer playing this setup, our bass player playing acoustic guitar and me playing electric with a little bitty amp. It works well and yes our drummer does find it easier to sing and play when standing up. He can jam into some pretty tiny corners of pubs this way too.

--Lee

The Coffee House drum is a neat new approach to the Cocktail drum - the top head is from Remo's Mondo line of mylar percussion heads, so it can be played with the hands to serve as a conga, or with sticks to serve as a tom.

Like the traditional cocktail drum, it is played standing up, with an inverted pedal.

The bottom head is a Powerstroke 3, so it should produce a good BD sound.

Here's a link to a photo and description of the drum :

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/commerce/command/cProductDisplay?prmenbr=1&prrfnbr=900002253&topcat=&prevcat=

Nope - no snares on the Remo. Given the thickness of the Mondo head, unlikely that they would be even as effective as those on the Yamaha Steve Jordan kit (which ain't very!).

The Remo Coffee House drum, as you see it, sells for $399 @ Interstate Music. This leaves a few $'s for a small SD, which you could clamp onto a cymbal stand (get a clamp that has tilters at both ends, and simply use the top section of your SD stand).

Here's another neat, small gig product -

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=513

I already have rigged up components from my regular kit for a "Hip Gig/Jungle Gig" kit for sit down, so I'm not as interested in the Expresso kit as I would be - but maybe one of you will like this approach!

Hey, Guys:

Couple of thoughts (hi, Lee ... glad to see you rubbing up against all these drummers again):

The REMO drum is practically indestructable.

This coffee house kit is really designed for more of a percussion application (as in not drumset replacement) however, this does not mean that it cannot be utilized for this application.

The Slingerland kit is a tremendous value. I cannot guarantee that it is the highest of value as it *IS* a Tiawanese product, BUT ... as are almost every other kit these days. This is a great value and is the ONLY kit that I know of with this type of configuration.

Just my thoughts,

DJ

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking that the "percussion" aspect of the Coffee House drum might actually work in quite well, as I'm now using a small djembe on a song or too, as much to get away from the brushes/hot rods or crossstick w/HH on every song which these unplugged things lend themselves to.

Having a combination BD/conga might be a cool thing!

Dittos on the Slingerland comments.

I purchased a set of 3 wood SD's from Yo! a couple years ago, spent a total of $100 for the 3 drums. Quality control was nothing to scream about, but the most important aspects of the drums were fine, and I receive complements on the "piccolo" of the 3 each time I use it.

The Expresso should be quite useable, and - with a bit of experimentation w/tuning - should sound pretty good.

Also, my dealings with Music Yo! have been very pleasant - LOW prices, quick delivery, and zero complaints or problems!

p.s. Here's the link to info on that Kick/Conga I mentioned earlier, this is likewise a very cool product!

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/commerce/command/cProductDisplay?prmenbr=1&prrfnbr=134930&topcat=&prevcat=

:eek:

Archived