Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

where to get marching band crash cymbals?

alphajerk

im wondering. i have this "ride" cymbal that i bought off my drummer. he said he got it from his high school and was a marching band crash. how anyone carries TWO of these things around is beyond me. the one that i have is HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. anyways. it makes for a killer ride. its 24" diameter and very thick.

so i have a drummer that i record from time to time... and he breaks EVERYTHING. i mean EVERYTHING. and one session, his ride was in such bad shape i [against my better judgement] let him use this one. its pretty tough and lasted the session in perfect condition and still works.

so he is now looking for one for himself after replacing about 20 cymbals a year, expensive technique right?

so i tell him what was told to me but no place in town can get marching band stuff. seems its special order.

so im wondering does anyone have a line on this sort of cymbal? its a zildjian.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alpha,

First and foremost this guy needs to seriously change his playing technique. It is not only bad for the equipment but that kind of "style" (if you can call it that) only creates a VERY VERY bad sound!!!!

Ok so where to get the cymbal....the percussion source. They are great guys and can help him out.

http://www.percussionsource.com

Donnie

well, bad for his wallet. its some seriously wacked out technique but he hits the drums harder than anyone i have ever seen and it sounds GOOD. funny to because when *i* hit his drums they sound like shit.

this guy breaks titanium kick pedal shafts. metal cymbals. sticks galore. heads. everything... mics too, except my sennheiser 604e's... hes whacked them so many times and not even a mark, well a mark... but only slightly.

i was actually wondering if i should pass out eye protection for the band during the sessions :D

thanks for the link. do you know if this "marching band crash" i have really is one of those? hmm, i cant seem to get the search to work on their site. i will have him call them.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Alpha:

I carried a 24" pair of crash cymbals for a special performance in college band once. A guy (much taller than me ... and I am 6 ft.) carried a 28" ... talk about heavy. During the performance, I threw my back out! It was grueling getting through the rest of the performance.

Yet I digress.

This guy may hit hard as Kieth Moon, but there is something terribly incorrect about his breaking this many cymbals. Perhaps he is using sticks that are too big for the job. One should never use anything as large as a 2B on a drumset.

Perhaps he is playing the cymbals in such a way that pushes the stress points on the cymbal too far.

I am (as well as many drummers I know) a heavy hitter, ... and I have never had this destructive problem. As a matter of fact ... I would hate to think that I would break some of my hand picked lot of cymbals. This would be a bad thing.

Perhaps he should study some cymbal guides (available online or through some of the bigger cymbal companies) regarding proper cymbal playing technique.

The only other suggestion is that he locate an old Paiste RUDE Heavy cymbal . I believe that these cymbals can withstand baseball bats!

Hope this helps.

DJ

Archived