Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Drummer?

Drumlooney

Nope, not Jughead, that was just to be funny cause I couldn't think of anyone at the time (other than Jughead, how odd is that?)

I didn'f fell as though you were directing anything towards me... it's all good!

Eric-

You know me too well! I thought I'd hid all those earlier pictures of me! :D

Jen H.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't figure that there is ever a cut and dried best but my favorites are scott travis,dave lombardo, and the drummer from scatterbrain.I honestly can't remember his name and lost the CD cover. Take this with a grain of salt because I have guitar players ears and am still learning as far as drums go.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Hey Teller, Thanks for bring Mic Fleetwood to mind. I have always admired his playing. The latest album (that was also featured as the live video performance) was incredible. His playing was so "on" considering the amount of time that had passed since Fleetwood had played together.

DrumLooney, Drum Talk had gone through a lull if you will, but the success or failure of this forum is totally up to you guys. I am always here and always checking. I encourage all of you to go the top of your screen (right) where it ask to show topics from the last (....) amount of time. Set yours to show all topics. Go back and re-visit some of the topics that are classic topics from as long as a year ago. Some of the new folks need to answer some of these valuable drum topics!

Tell friends that are drummers about the site. Get more folks visiting.

Thanks for your support.

DJ

One of the best all around drummers Ive ever heard would be Ian Paice.Talk about dynamics and speed!The guy is just AMAZING!Check out his drumming on "BURN"...particularly during the vocals.I was lucky enough to see him in"73.WHOA.Next would be MICHAEL SHRIEVE on the early SANTANA albums.TOMMY ALDRIGE.OH, and difinently MICHAEL GILES of old KING CRIMSOM...talk about MELODIC.

anyone heard of Greg Isabel? He plays in Eat the Day, heard of them? How about Big Dumb Face? Those are bands with former Limp B guitarist Wes Borland. He also played in a band called the Chad Jasmine Factor (check them out...bad ass).

Eat the Day has not released their first album yet, but Greg played on several Chad Jasmine CDs.

I think Greg has the most amazing feel and a groove so solid it sends chills down my spine. The music he created with Chad Jasmine in so deeply emotional and full... Check out eattheday.com or chadjasmine.com to look deeper.

I got a little into letting everyone know about Greg Isabel, but there are many other great drummers out there.

I haven't seen Neil Peart's name mentioned, he inspired most of the people listed (not some of the old guys).

What about Carter Buford, Gene Krupa, Greg Bissonette, Mitch Mitchell

Are you the best drummer in your mind?

I know I'm a bass player but can I suggest:

1) Zigaboo Modeliste (I think that's how you spell it)

2) Dominic Greensmith (from Reef, buy the first album, nice "butt in the saddle back beat", plus my fav fill of all time. It's just opening and shutting the hats and hittin' 'em on the "and" but it drags the whole band back to the beat after a double timeish section. Feels like a big rubber band.)

3) Benny Benjamin (and Ureil Jones)

and finally on a personal note,

Mr Sam Kelly

Ex-Cymande, sampled all over "The Score", top London based pro for about a bajillion years. Minimal flash, maximum groove makes my job so easy everytime I'm fortunate enough to play with him. Any solo he takes is played so that non-drummers and non-musos (i.e. most of the audience) will have at least half a clue as to what is going on. He might occasionally lead you down a rythmic cul-de-sac and leave you there. But he will always send a cab with a big "1 is right here" on it at some point. One of the nicest men you will ever meet and still having fun playing after so many years of playing as a pro.

If you ever see a poster saying "Drums - Sam Kelly"...GO TO THE DAMN GIG. HE IS A MONSTER PLAYER.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, in my next life I am going to be a drummer (I play bass), cause I love you guys. Second, this is the shortest list of favorite drummers that I could do and I am leaving out a bunch. This is in no particular order

Art Blakey, Vinnie Colaiuta, Mike Conners, Stewart Copeland, Omar Hakim, Dennis Chambers, Zach Danziger, Steve Ferrone, Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, Elvin Jones, William Kennedy, Billy Kilson, Victor Lewis, Jeff Pocaro, Jeff Watts, Tony Williams.

I apologize for leaving off a bunch of the funk players and rockers, but I was trying to keep this list short.

Roger Taylor (from Queen) For over all finesse and the monster fills he can rip out. Watch Queen's Live concert video "We Will Rock You" and check out 'I'm in Love with my Car'. You'll see what I mean.

Others that I really like: John Panozzo (Styx), Matt Chamberlain (Tori Amos & others), Cozy Powell for pure monstrous thunder!, Ringo Starr (He get's a bum rap. He's quite good!), Jerome Augustyniak (10,000 Maniacs), Anton Fig

Joe Meek once put a shotgun to Mitch Mitchel's nose and told him he was going to blow his head off if he didn't play a part the way Joe wanted it. Mitch played it smart as Joe later used that shotgun on his landlord.

As far as drummers go............Jan Hammer.

Check out "Blue Wind" or "Star Cycle" both by Jeff Beck. Jan kicks ass in a most unusual way.

http://princemakaha.homestead.com/files/bewbies.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy Rich...don't see how anyone could watch him and not be inspired. He made it look so easy...

Bonham...the sound, feel, attitude, everything...

Porcaro...if he'd only done "Rosanna" and nothing else, he'd still be on my list...

Stewart Copeland...his playing is just tasty. And I'm a sucker for splashes and Octobans (Tim Alexander is another one I like who uses 'em)...

Terry Bozzio...his solo stuff is amazing and hurts my head to listen to and watch (in a good way), and some of his recent stuff like Polytown and Bozzio/Levin/Stevens is just as amazing, but there's a track on (don't laugh) a Richard Marx album where he plays to tastefully and elegantly, but still with his unique touch and signature, I can't pass him up...oh, and how about his work with Zappa? (Vinnie too...insane stuff with Zappa, and then his work with Sting...he can do it all)

Neil Peart...I know it's not hip to like him once you graduate from high school and have learned all of his licks, but they're a lot easier to learn than to come up with in the first place. I think he's still one of the most creative players out there who's constantly reinventing himself. Take Mike Portnoy for example...I do admire his playing tremendously, but I don't hear the originality there that I hear with Neil.

Carter Beauford...I just picked up their new album today, and it's nice to hear that they've escaped Glen Ballard's clutches and are back to form (nothing against Glen Ballard, but the album he did with them didn't have the ingredients that made me a fan in the first place)...

Vinnie Paul...taking double bass to the next level...

Danny Carey...I don't know what to say about him, except that he's the man...a monster...

I'd better stop, I could go on...but I will say that I'm also a big fan of Liberty DeVitto's, and I can imagine a Billy Joel song without him...it happend on "River of Dreams" and I did not like it.

-Duardo

Archived