Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

Ludwig Musser has a nice catalog, they're vibes are some of the best.

Malletech has a great web site that shows a lot about marimbas.

Lonestar Percussion has great prices on these things, often 60% of list, so for what you can get a basic professional vibraphone for elsewhere, you can get the top of the line at Lone Star. Wish I'd done that.

Good luck! These are beautiful instruments, if not cheap ones!

Also be aware that many vibes and marimbas are tuned many different ways. We ended up with a 442 Musser vibe and had to tune our whole world up to 442. There are advantages to having a 440 instrument.

Enjoy!

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey popmusic & Ted,

i love vibes!!!

ok, I'm not sure of the catalog number but anything by the (Aussie) group "Sonic Fiction" you HAVE to check out!!! (please!),

look up the name "Daryl Pratt", this guy is amazing, a true master vibes player!!!!!!......

can't tell you much more but what I heard Daryl do always floored me, sometimes with multiple sticks, other times with (double)bass bow along the sides of the bars (on his own gigs), and sometimes with stomp boxes! but the couple of times i woz lucky ennuf to book him it was amazing, anything goes! this guy opened my mind to a whole bunch of other sounds! :D:D email me for more info if you like, vibes played originally in this way is amazing......

I'm not sure but Daryl was the "composer in house" for the oz conservatorium of music." for a bit...

peace

nattybrunching.com/cybimages/cyb-LISA.gif

file:///50Gb%20partition/office%20utes/monster_lovestruck_sm_wht.gif

Hey, Pop:

I too, would love to have a set of vibes. Had a good freind that just got a set of the gold bar Mussers off of e-bay for a killer price. They were never played out and always covered.

This might be a great source to look for some good quality used vibes.

DJ

ebay's got good prices (comparable to Lone Star) and best of all you don't have to wait 6 months like you do to order a new Musser set...

Bowing the vibes is very classy indeed. Evelyn Glennie does a bunch of that. Mmmmmmm.

Another overlooked source of bliss is twiddling the variable speed knob while sustaining notes... psychedelic!!!

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived