Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Home made drum stuff

DC

I figured out a long time ago to use foam weather stripping instead of dead ringers (sorry, I like that 70's resonant yet dead sound on toms). I worked with a drummer who used feminine hygiene products on his snare head for what it's worth.

Right now, I'm wondering if anyone has found something round to glue to a front bass drum head so a circle can be cut in it for internal micing. Or the best way to do this without splitting the head.

Any other home made drum devices?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, DC and Drum Looney:

Those are great tips and this is a great thread. Thanks for posting this.

I have used the 8" splash trick for years. It works well if you have a good service and a very sharp straight edge razor.

Make sure you do not do this trick on a good surface! This would not be something to do on your hardwood floors!

DJ

I made a really handy (life saving) stick holder for my Roc-n-Soc. I never used the back rest, so I took the "L" arm and bracket of the throne's bottom. I moved the bracket to the front (underside) of the throne. I then took a piece of black 4" diameter PVC pipe and cut it to the desired length of my sticks to rest in it with enough exposed to be able to grab them. I glued a black PVC cap to the bottom and dropped in a 2" round-cut (I cut from some packaging material) foam in the bottom.

I took the "L" bracket that used to hold the back-rest, ... and screwed it (drilling NO new holes ... used the existing holes) to the PVC pipe. (the "L" arm hangs down with the PVC screwed to it). The "L" arm then slides into the same bracket used for it to hold the back-rest on (the bracket is now on the front underside of the throne). This leaves the stick holder suspended on the front of the throne between my legs and right behind the snare drum. Kinda a suspended Quill if you will. It works great and is the right place to pull a stick real quick when one goes.

This was simple to do and very inexpensive. Took about an hour and cost about $20. (in addition to the cost of the Roc-n-Soc with backrest.)

DJ

That's cool djarrett. I don't have an 8" splash, but I've got a coffee can. ;)

I thought of another one a drummer I worked with used. Lots of stages don't have drum risers, so he put a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood on hinges, glued carpet to the top and carried around a bunch of 5 gallon paint containers which would stack inside each other. They supported the drums and platform just fine giving him a quick set up, two foot high drum riser. He also made a cloth skirt for the front and sides so it looked cool too.

Archived