Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording kit suggestions, please...

captain54

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but here goes...

I'm looking for unbiased opinions on which of the following kits would most likely give the best results in a recording environment...

Premier Cabria

Ludwig Rocker

Pearl Export

Tama Rockstar

Yamaha YD

keep in mind I'm willing to change the stock heads to pinstripes or something similiar...

thanks

Lee K

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go for the Premier Cabria. I already recorded YD yamaha and it do not feel good for recording at all.

The Ludwig rocker is OK it sound good very loud and suitable for rock and roll.

The Tama is good but not as good as the Premier cabria that remain me a Yamaha Recording series sound.

If I were choosing from your list, I would go with the Yamaha's if issues of customer service are important to you. The Premiers will have a great sound as well, but forget customer service. They have none! ( I love the guys at Premier, but have to speak the truth!)

Tama and Pearl will also provide excellent CS, but I am not sure that the Pearls (in this series) will give you what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

DJ

thanks for the commments....

I actually ended up going with none of the above...

Got a sweet deal on the Gretsch Catalina Elite Fusion. laquered finish...too hard to pass up...

the hardware looks very robust....I'm anxious to see how it sounds in the studio...I've been told its a great recording kit...it may or not work out, it remains to be seen...

anyone have any experiences with this kit.??

also, can any drum techs out there recommend head replacements?? thinking of going coated top tom heads and uncoated bottoms, remo pinstripe bass head, and snare undecided....

and lastly, cymbal opinions....thinking of going 16" and 18" thin crash Zildjian A series, 20" medium ride, and Sabian HHX Evolution hats, 14"

this is not a Van Halen or Rush recording project..small home ProTools studio with a Stones or blues R&B, Robert Cray feel..

thanks for the help....

Hey Captain 54 let me give you my two cents on cymbal purchasing. The problem with cymbals is that you can take two identical cymbals (same brand and size) and chances are they are not going to sound the same. My suggestion is to grab a couple of cymbals and play around with them before purchasing. See which ones sound good together, maybe that zildjian ride will not sound good with those HH hi hats, maybe it will, go by what your ear tells you not by what reputation a cymbal has or how nice it sounded on someone else's kit. Believe me, I've bought many cymbals that sounded great in the store only to be disappointed by how they sounded with all my other cymbals, hopefully you have a shop were they'll let you sound test.

Just my two pennies.

Jose :)

Yes, good point...

that's pretty how I decided on the dual crash / ride combination...those three were already set up on an in store kit...

there's a good possiblity they wont sound the same in the studio but how else are you going to know until you get them in there and try them....

Archived