Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do woman drummers play Jazz???

Jazzman

When I see a gal on a TV concert, I usually see them play all types of Rock, Country or Ballads.

Do any gals out there play Cool, Acoustic, Acid, Smooth Jazz. Maybe I not paying attention here.

Sorry about my ignorance folks......but I see a lot more woman playing Sax, pianio,(organ doesn't count :D ), and 6-string guitar.

Where are they??

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Jazz:

Just saw a segment of a Bose Wave infomercial last night that featured Herbie Hancock as the spokes person. He had a band, and the great women jazz drummer, Terry Lynn Carrington was swinging the beats for the group.

They are out there, but hard to find!

Gots to keep them eyes peeled!

DJ

Just so you can find her easily when you do a search, I wanted to correct you on the spelling of her name.

Terri Lynn Carrington

She's a GREAT player and has played with all the greats. Even some of the jazz/pop stuff ... like with Al Jareau, etc. She also studied extensively with Alan Dawson, whom I was able to study a bit with before he passed.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Terri Lyne Carrington, the child prodigy of the 70's is The Woman of the 90's! A world renowned drummer, composer, producer and clinician, her versatility maintains her status in the industry as a person to watch! Born in Medford, Massachusetts in 1965 into a family steeped with talent, Terri developed a reputation jamming with jazz greats Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Peterson, Les McCann, Joe Williams, Clark Terry and many, many more. A full scholarship at age 11 to Berklee College of Music gave her the opportunity to study harmony and composition also. While yet a student, she met and played with such people as Kevin Eubanks, Mike Stern, Branford Marsalis, Pat Metheny, Greg Osby and others. She also studied under the master drum instructor Alan Dawson and made a debut recording entitled, "TLC and Friends", with Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, George Coleman and her dad, Sonny Carrington.

Throughout high school Terri traveled across the country doing clinics and workshops at schools and colleges. In 1983, encouraged by her mentor, Jack DeJohnette, she moved to New York and started working with Stan Getz, James Moody, Lester Bowie, Pharoah Sanders, Cassandra Wilson, Dianne Reeves, David Sanborn and Wayne Shorter.

In 1989, Terri moved to Los Angeles where she became the house drummer for the "Arsenio Hall Show". She has also toured the globe with Joe Sample, Al Jarreau, Herbie Hancock, Gerald Albright and Lalah Hathaway. She was nominated for a Grammy Award for her first release on Polygram, "Real Life Story" which featured Carlos Santana, Patrice Rushen, John Scofield, Grover Washington, Jr., and more.

Recently, she has concentrated her efforts on producing, songwriting and arranging with various artists including Gino Vannelli, Dianne Reeves, David Sanborn, Siedah Garrett and Danish Pop Singers Stig Rossen and Monique. Her latest production of Dianne Reeves new cd "That Day" hovered at the top of the charts for many months. Terri was also the house drummer on the late night TV show, "VIBE", hosted by Sinbad.

In 1998, she recorded, along with Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Kathleen Battle and Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock's recent tribute to George Gershwin, "Gershwin's World". Also, Terri was one of four featured artists honoring Louie Bellson, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones and Max Roach at the American Drummers Achievement Awards hosted by Bill Cosby.

Very cool :thu:

Hey, Christopher. You are correct. Hillary is a great player. I usually think of her and another great Cindy Blackman as more mainstream players due to their exposure in that area, but both of these gals can really swing.

I have Cindy's video and she does some great jazz stuff on that.

Thanks for the reminder!

DJ

There is a mexican Drummer called Rosa Marina she is located in LA area and was a graduated from PIT.

Currently she is a Evans Heads endorser, so if you have a poster from 2000 or a MD advertisement you can see her among the crowd.

I do not know where is she playing but she play jazz at good level.

Archived