Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do drummers put tape on cymbals??

Jazzman

Hi all, I've seen some drummers put tape on cymbals. I've never done this. Is it because the cymbal has too much ring to it?? I know it makes the cymbal have a darker sound to it. I've seen a rock group drummer do this. Is it because it cuts down the time between each hit to hear the sound?

Just curious....

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to do this years ago to a SABIAN 22 inch HH Medium Ride. There was just too much build up ... which was great for big band stuff, but not very versatile.

I had my buddy Ward Wilson reduce the cymbal down to a 20 inch for me, so now it's a lot more manageable. I hated to do that really, but the cymbal just wouldn't work otherwise. I bought it when I was a Sophomore and college ........ before I had developed my ear. I should have known better, but I didn't.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey, Jazz:

Why *do* drummers put tape on cymbals? It has always been a mystery to me. When I bought my very first cymbal (a 1965 Brilliant 22" Zildjian Ride), it had tape on the bottum. Looked like a spyder from underneith! I immediately worked hard to get the tape and all residue off. They cymbal sounded much better when allow to sing!

This is an attempt to control a cymbal's (much like putting a dot on a drum head) sound. My recommendation: If the cymbal does not meet your sound expectations ... get another one that does. Don't go messing with the cymbals resonance. This stiffling of the sound grooves resonance could actually cause harm to a cymbal by constricting the cymbals vibration, ... and if you are a heavy hitter, ... it could lead to cracking!

Just find another cymbal that has the sound you are looking for. You'll be much happier in the end.

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they put tape on their cymbals because they'd rather be playing cowbells.

Cymbals ring, that's the point.

Swapping out the cymbal is the best solution, that and using different sticks and some finesse.

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I think djarret hit the nail on the head, if you don't like the cymbal get one that sounds the way you want to.

Hey dj, Maybie you should start a topic on why drummers put tons of paper and tape on their toms!!

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Hi all, I've seen some drummers put tape on cymbals. I've never done this. Is it because the cymbal has too much ring to it?? I know it makes the cymbal have a darker sound to it. I've seen a rock group drummer do this. Is it because it cuts down the time between each hit to hear the sound?

Stops cracks from starting/traveling.

Always gig with duct tape.

Archived