Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live Triggering Problems

sidereal

For live gigs I've started triggering my new Yamaha Hip Gig with DDrum triggers (kick and snare), patched to a Roland SPD-20, and routed to the PA.

The main problem I'm having is that the PA is only registering about 2/3s of the notes I'm playing. It's very frustrating in that it seems random. Playing even, consistent notes will either register the sample, or it won't. I've got the trigger sensitivity set to max on the SPD-20, the cables are high grade...

I know that any number of things can go wrong with a chain like this (lack of adequate vibration from the head to the trigger, bad triggers, cable problems, improper programming on the brain, faulty triggering implementation of the brain, etc). So I'm wondering what I can try to get the system to register every note I play. Any ideas?

Also, the Yamaha kit isn't the best match for the DDrum triggers I've got. They don't seem to fit properly on the rims of the drums. Any other brands anyone can recommend I try?

Thanks...

Just for the record.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try checking the "rejection" or something like that settings in the brain. If the rejection is too high, it mean lets say you do 4 hits, it might just play the 1st and 3rd one, "judging" the the 2nd and 4th came too close after the intial hits... dunno if you get what I mean...

You seem to have the opposite problem to "double triggering"...

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Sidereal,

You may void the warranty, but I recommend that you use needle-nose pliers or metal snips to make that Ddrum trigger work, ... cause I don't know anyone that makes a better trigger.

You should be able to open the "mouth" on that slot that accepts the hoop. Try this, but be careful not to "muck-up" the trigger.

DJ

My drumming teacher just started using a ddrum kick and snare trigger with his SPD-20. We tried it first with my triggers to see how it would work. It took some time programming the SPD before it triggered ok. I don't know anymore which settings we used.

Archived