Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Complicated question...but can someone define....

clarity

The different types of cymbals and drums (how they sound etc) that your average rock-style drummer would use? Not being in a band and recently taking up the bass has made me curious about other instruments in your typical rock band. Thanks for helping! :D

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Clarity:

This is truly a wide-open question. There are so many different genres of popular rock today, and with as many genres, comes as many trends in drums.

I notice three big trends in drum choices today:

1) Retro - Back to small set-ups (4 and 5 piece sets) in classic tom sizes with lightweight hardware. Also some bizarre colors including a resurgence of plastic wrapped kits.

2) 80's drums! - Bigger drums on another end of the spectrum are making a comeback. Big power toms ala 80's style are coming back in vogue. Double bass and big toms. Will big hair follow?

3) Boutique drums - These are drum users that do not want to follow the crowd. They will play boutique small drum company sets that are truly customized. Companies like Pork Pie, Spaun, D'amico, Orange County, etc. These drums come in wrapped or painted finishes that are not available by those companies that make production line kits.

That is my take on the industry!

DJ

Hi clarity, I guess it depends on the drummer himself when he goes shopping for a set.

Most drummers check out their favorate drummer and learn about the set he or she is using. Chances are if you have a very heavy hitter the set he's playing on better take the abuse. So I think drummers of one style would think the same as their mentors.

This is something I have observed as well as for myself when I was looking for a set. There is really no specific reason that one set is more popular than another other the name being out there long enough to gain the reputation. And in doing so lends itself to the better quality of the product.

I'm not a rock drummer, but If I were I would tend to follow others of the same style until they changed......then I would try to figure out why.

As far as cymbals goes, I believe this also follows the same pattern in selection between the user and the feel.

Hope this helps.........

Jazzman :cool:

Archived