Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who has taken apart their drums to tighten internal connections?

Jazzman

After reading a few posts on loose fittings and such, I think I will take the whole drum set apart and re-tighten up all of the drum internals, what do ya think drummers??

I might do one drum at a time. Should I use a torque wrench?

What happens if some fittings are stripped?? How do you fix it so they are not loose.

I'm afraid to look............. :eek:

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jazzman, while it's a good thing every now and then to take the drum apart and clean it, you have to be careful when putting it back together. If you overtighten screws you can strip them. I have two screws on the lugs on my snare drum that have stripped. If you strip the inside of your lugs or snare mechanism you may have to replace it (the metal they use on a lot of these pieces doesn't lend itself to retapping). Granted, the lugs on my drum are about 14 years old and have seen lots of action, but I'm still annoyed at having to replace stuff.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Hey, Jazzman:

Key phrase -- BE CAREFUL.

This is not rocket science, but the lug casings are made of chromed white (or pot) metal.

Over-tightening can strip the delicate threads as the screws themselves are a harder metal than the threads.

You do not need to over-tighten. If you have a screw that chronically backs out, ... you can pick up a can of Loctite at the local home improvement center. This is the equivalent of a metal glue that will help hold that screw in place and keep it from backing out. Other than that, just hand tightening should do on the rest of the screws.

That is the scoop from an old drum builder.

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to a drummer at the Guitar Center near where I live, he said that every time he changes a head on a drum he would tighten up the drum if required. That was the frequency that he used.

Jazzman :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I started drumming 28 years ago,I have been taking my drums apart and finding out how they work.

To me to play a drumset that has just been cleaned,had the lugs and springs oiled with new skins and clean shiny cymbals just seems to sound and feel better to play it is almost like having a brand new set of drums.

I have learned a lot about the inner workings of the drums and even found out how to tune a drum to itself for maximum sound and resonance.By accidentally dropping a shell on the floor it made a tone. iwent to the piano to finfd out what note it was and when I retuned the drum to that note the drum began to sing!!!!!!!

I oil all the lugs and lean all the parts once every couple of years although I used to do it at least once a year before.

This can be a time consumming project so if you have a hectic schedule try 1 drum a day untill they are all done.

Once you have become in touch with your drums so to speak you will have a beter understanding on how to make them sing and that annoying rattle that sometimes occurs will be easier for you to find and fix.

Tim waterson aka The Drumcanman

Archived