Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum monitor

oremug

What are you guys using for a monitor setup? It seems like I can never get a good monitor mix, especially a strong kick from it. Would even consider in ear monitors at this point. Any thoughts, ideas?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi oremug, in my studio I use mostly the

Audio-technica ATH-910 Pro headphones while playing and recording drums. During mixdown I use a set of ATH-m40fs phones at the consol. The ATH-910 Pro's are a flat response type, and the ATH-m40fs phones have the low end of around 5 or 10 Hz to 20,000Hz.

I really like them I have eight of the Pro's in the studio. They are not that expensive...........I think around $90.00.

I would like to get a set of AKG K240 Studio or the K141 Studio. I don't know which ones yet.

Hope this helps a little.......

Jazzman :cool:

oremug:

The very best monitor I have used is inner ear (I use a box from Rolls that gives me a user controlled volume that feeds me what ever mix I ask for. )

But, the very best thing I use is called a ButtKicker2. It is a low frequency response unit that uses a floating magnetic coil to thumb the bass through your drum throne. It is suspended off of a Roc-n-Soc hydraulic throne. This thing will thumb down to 6 hertz without have to have your ears blown out by a 18 inch cabinet!

Best thing I have used!

DJ

Originally posted by oremug:

What are you guys using for a monitor setup? It seems like I can never get a good monitor mix, especially a strong kick from it. Would even consider in ear monitors at this point. Any thoughts, ideas?

As an engineer I do a lot of live work as well as recording and oh yeah, I've heard this before...

:D

I really don't know why but singers and drummers never get a good monitor mix and they can never hear themselves... :confused::eek:

Sooo... I always put a 15" monitor or two on a box at the drummers ear level. This mostly works. If the problem persist give him a speaker like ElectroVoice T252 or similar speaker; 800 Watts RMS with double 15" drivers. ;)

To hear and feel that really strong kick - and if this is his / her usual monitor set-up he / she probably feels rather than hears :D --->

Take a feed from an aux send, bring it to a crossover then from the low out of the crossover to amp and then to double 18" sub-woofer; from high / mid out of the crossover to a double 15" + 2" speaker. And kiss his ears goodbye :wave:;):D

Ufuk Onen

www.UfukOnen.com

Ankara, Turkey

I sing and play. Obviously in-ear monitoring would be the best thing, but way too expensive for my wallet.

Any of you try these Galaxy monitors that sit on a mic stand? That way you elevate your monitoring up to ear level. I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm curious if anyone's tried them.

Just for the record.

Sidereal:

I have used the galaxy stand mounted monitors. Same as a hot spot, really.

Your using this would really depend on the type of gig and music you are playing.

These are great for weddings, small clubs, etc.

Not for a large room or for heavy metal music.

DJ

Wired IEM (in ear monitors) are no more expensive than a mid line amp and a couple of wedges these days...and alot less to carry around....better quality audio too...not to mention the reduced stage volume...and band the increased safety to your hearing...and your bandmates not b*tchin cuz the drums are too loud and wanting to have themselves turned up....

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by djarrett:

But, the very best thing I use is called a ButtKicker2. It is a low frequency response unit that uses a floating magnetic coil to thumb the bass through your drum throne. It is suspended off of a Roc-n-Soc hydraulic throne.

Whoa!! Does it give you a cheap thrill, as an extra benefit? :D

Where can one find out more info about this?

--Lee

Hey, Lee:

Cheap thrills included!

You can read more about the buttkicker2 at:

www.buttkicker.com

Unfortunately, they do not show the application for mounting to a drum throne. Click on the butt shaker link and it does show the actual unit that can be mounted under any throne that has a large enough seat.

Thanks,

DJ

Yes, $400 and you got to add a 1000 watt amp! ... But what is your hearing worth? The great thing about this item is it can also be used in your home studio or home theater ... I even heard one in a car ... WOW!

This is definately the right low end response monitoring device, but it is for the well funded and very serious professional at heart.

Heck, Lee ... some guys pay more than this for a cheap thrill!

DJ

Wow, how many laxatives do you go through? Or should I say - how many laxatives go through you?

Holy shit! :)

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Hey, Dwarf:

I think that was a joke!

However, I am just more and more impressed by this Butt Kicker. I am actually writing a review on the unit for GIG magazine.

This think is a drummers monitoring dream!

DJ

Archived