Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cocktail Drums ?

tarsia

Hey Drummer Dudes !

A Bassplayer here - I stumbled across a ebay thing for

Cocktail drums, U guys know anything about these ?

it looks like a tall floor tom with a reverse bass pedal and supposedly some kind of snare type device on the top head - also had a cymbal mount & options for adding toms etc... a stand-up playing unit.

Are they a "Hokey" novelty thing or a viable small

small gig-able kit? Curiousity is Killin' this Cat !!!

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi tarsia, does Ricky Ricardo mean anything to you!!! Just kidding.

No those are the real things, I've seen them before I think that they used them at bar areas at pool settings at the beach, with a guitar and bass player for example. Easy to set up and tear down.

Yamaha makes a set of them. The drums are 24" deep X 15" diameter made out of mahogany and birch type shell. Some have snare wires that are attached to the bottom of the top head. Others have seperate snare and tom that can be attached to the side of the larger drum. There is a reverse action chain-drive bass pedal that attaches to the bottom of the larger drum. The bottom head is pin strip and padded for a muffled sound. They also can come with a closed hihat and cymbal with the hardware. There are other attachments for cowbells etc., and there is a percussion board that is mounted on the side of the larger drum used for different stick action.

The set is played while standing. Small group idea, and doesn't take up a lot of room. They cost around $1,000 to $2,000. Colors that I've seen are pink and silver sparkle.

Hope this helps........

Jazzman :cool:

Hey, Tarcia:

Go back in the forum archives here, and you will see a thread related to cocktail drums.

Also, Do a search at Google.com for "cocktail drums".

This will pull up a pretty good assortment of images, etc., for you to look at.

Jazz has it correct regarding the configuration of the set.

There is basically one long "floor-tom" (if you will) that serves as a tom and the bass drum at the same time with an inverted pedal. Usually one small tom to the side and a mini-snare on the other.

Most have an arm for a small cymbal and some newer models make use of an arm for a mini-hat (that stays closed or tight).

Hope this helps.

DJ

Archived