Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ddrum kick - anyone else ever enounter this?

tld

We're recording using Ddrum pads and a Ddrum 3 brain...awesome by the way.

On occasion we're running into a bit of a problem. Once in a while we get a real close double trigger...probably only 1 to 3 milliseconds apart. It's just enough to cause a real loud hit with an obvious flange-like out of phase sound. We have the sensitivity pretty low, so thats not the issue.

My drummer has a pretty heavy attack, and likes using a wooden beater because of the feel. Possibly we're getting a bounce from the beater. We have the Ddrums mounted on a home made plywood base. The kick sits directly on the plywood with the front feet anchored behind attached wood blocks. It's possible we're getting some sort of shock wave coming back up the feet.

Anyway, just wonderring if anyone using one of these ever ran into this or had any insight. Thanks!

Tom

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: tld ]

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: tld ]

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a set of e-drums recently.

My module has a setting for controlling double triggers ("self reject"). You might want to check the manual and look for a similar feature. I put the self-reject up so high I couldn't play a double stroke, and then gradually lowered it to one knotch below where my double strokes worked.

I also found that a lot of double triggering was being caused by the fact that I actually was hitting the trigger twice. I adjusted the kick pedal; pulling the beater as far away from the trigger as possible when at rest, and increasing the tension. That helped a lot.

Now if I could only figure out why I can't get any real dynamic response from the ride cymbal, I'd be laughing.

Thanks Passeist! I should have thought of that. I don't recall offhand, but I'd be surprised if that Ddrum doesn't have some sort of retrigger threshhold or the like. Best of all, there's no real down side of such a setting on the kick. My drummer's got an astonishingly fast foot...but not *that* fast :D

Tom

Well I managed to fix this. As it turned out, the closest thing the Ddrum had was a trigger threshold (no retrigger setting), and that didn't help because the double hits I was getting were both rather high velocity.

Aparently it was being caused by the beater producing a real fast bounce against the head. Simply putting a thick moleskin on the head stopped it completely.

Tom

TLD,

This is a problem many times when someone plays with the "plant the beater" technique.

This is not an improper way to play (although some would argue that it is), but it will kill the resonance response on an acoustic drum.

It can also be the source of dragging tempos. If you plant the beater into the head instead of snapping it off the head, you can loose tempo due to the split-second timing it takes to draw the beater off the head for the next beat!~

Hope this helps.

DJ

Archived