Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A bass man enters bravely...

Alan Dalton

Hello drummers.

I'm looking for general advice on playing with drummers. What mistakes do you find bassists usually make while playing with drummers? What should we try to improve on?

Feel free to be as friendly, cutting or downright insulting as you want to be ;)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Alan,

Mistakes: Thinking you're the star of the show (unless you

are the star of the show); Not paying enough

attention to time.

Things To Work On: Time (obviously); grooving well with the

drummer, communication.

While these things apply to everyone, they are especially important between drummers and bass players. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not - it all depends on the chemistry between the players.

Is there any particular problem that you've been noticing?

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Hey, Alan:

It always helps me to meet with the bass player one on one and rehearse on our own.

This allows us to lock in on the patterns and lock in the groove.

Try it ... it will really reveal more than you imagine it will.

It is a great exercise.

DJ

Alan, I've played drums for many,many years and bass. I have a real good friend that comes into the studio to lay down some bass tracks.

As far as I'm concerned, the bass player should think of him or herself as an extension of the drummer. There are times that you will need to allow the drummer to do his/her thing and and so goes the other way when both players understand each other's technique. The best way to achieve this is to practice with the drummer. Work out simple patterns and complimenting rhythms between each other. You should not compete with the drummer. The bass player really has the best position of a song, his/her part is more forgiving, and accent when required and provide the main grove. Remember that the drummer looks for the bass player to be consistant, dynamic, and follow with the drummers patterns. Once these patterns are established with the bass player, then can the drummer advance to an articulated and detailed position in the song allowing the other instruments to compliment each other.

I always found that some bass players don't understand that they are the strong building block of the song and it is very easy to ignore the drummer because the drums really do not carry the melody, and the base player is always looking for it. This leaves the drummer out to hang because the steady rhythm is constantly required by the drummer to keep the song together. If the bass player stays with the drummer, the drummer can compliment the other rhythm sections such as the guitar and key instruments.

It is more critical when there are only three instruments. If you whant to see what I mean by that , try playing in a trio. You'll see that you will be at all times with the drummer, or the song will fall apart.

My humble opinion my friend...........

Jazzman :cool:

Scream187, Dwarf, Passeist, DJ, Jazzman,

Thanks for your advice.

The gist of your advice seems to be that we need to stick to our job of playing bass as part of a rhythm section as opposed to being show-offs or wankers. Fair enough. You also stressed locking-in with the drums: I couldn't agree more. In fact, I believe that most people in an audience will judge a band (subconciously) by how tightly the bassist and drummer are playing than by any other factor.

Thanks again, drummers!

25 year pro drummer here. You are getting some good advice, here is my 2 cents:

- Keep It Simple (till the solo).

- Some of the best watch the bass drum pedal to lock up (especially in loud situations).

- When in doubt don't drop out; use pedal tones.

- I dont care if your Marcus Miller, We cant be tight if I can't hear you ( get a killer rig that also has highs, and set up so the I can see a small portion of the speaker on stage i.e. if the bassist is far left tilt the speaker in 30-45 degrees.

Peace

• 5 weeks later...
hey alan- i'm a bass player too. fairly new been playing with a cajun band abt 4yrs- weekend warriors. down here in carbondale il we keep em on the dance floor by keeping it simple and grooving. i stand close to the drummer with my cab right behind us. the fellow who advised watching the drummers foot was right on- works real well. there are all kinds of young buck bassists and drummers around here who could play rings around us- but it is your ensemble sound that counts and it can't happen if your not locked in. can't overemphasize the keep it simple part. of course after me and the drummer make them dance, the fiddler and guitar player get laid...

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bass player and a part time drummer. A few months ago I sat in behind the kit on an open jam that a jazz bar was hosting. Boy was that a wakeup call. Half the time I had to adjust on the fly key parts of a song, tempo ect. As a bassist you just think that the tempo you play and the notes are set in stone. Most people that got up to play were trying to lock in with the guitarist leaving me to carry everything, and some were even trying to mimmic the singer on important vocal points. I always gave drummers crap about being to uptight and now I know why.

Once everything is locked in the pyrotechnics can start but if its lost its lost.

Iaian

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

Archived