Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drumming for the music

djarrett

How many of you find that you are primarily enjoying the drums when you are playing with other musicians? I have lately found that I cannot stand to practice by myself ... only if there are other musicians involved. Seems the older I get, the less I like to practice alone. I enjoy the interaction with other musicians to stimulate challenge!

Others?

DJ

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, me too. Although if given the opportunity I will play along with CDs, after about two weeks of 1 to 2 hour days I start longing for a band to play with. I'd rather do 8 hours with a band.

But, the more I play with bands the more I appreciate the chance to woodshed on my own a bit. Go figure.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Lee, kill off his wife/girlfriend and marry the guy - you're much too happy with him. Your posts sometimes read like puppy love :) Marry him so you can learn to hate him ;)

--

Rob

Purveyor of fine bad advice since 1964

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

LOL Rob yeah I realize I probably make everybody puke. :D Well TOO BAD!! :P

And anyhow our bass player is just as crazy about our drummer and he's a GUY, and definitely not gay :D , and they've been playing together for years.

We just love our drummer, is that so wroooonnnggg???? :D

--Lee

I can't force myelf to practice without some form of accompaniment. I find my drum machine is a good practice companion, though, and that's what I use most of the time. I recently got a copy of CakeWalk and, if I ever find the time, I'm hoping to program some tunes into it and have that to practice with.

Saved by technology.

Hey Lee,

Being a drummer I must admit that I find the idea of loving your drummer to be a warm and fuzzy idea. I wish more people felt that way :)

Everyone should love their drummer, just be wary of disease :)

--

Rob

I agree Rob, everybody ought to love their drummer. If they need proof of this, consider: the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin - the best and most successful bands in history and all of them loved their drummers!

--Lee

I quitted my band just over a month ago..

I was the one who wanted to play, it seemed as if the others liked to dream about being famous, but they always found a reason why we shouldnt practice.

I got tired of that, so I qutted.... right now I'm getting very bored playing alone only

MPCman, it's a common story. I quit the most talented band I ever played in because the members would not practice nearly enough to be stage-worthy. We had great songs, a strong singer, strong guitars, but we were so unrehearsed that it was embarrassing to go on stage. Such a lost opportunity.

Yeah I feel for you guys, that sucks and I've definitely been there and done that. The sad part is there only has to be one weak link to bring down the whole band. If somebody is lazy, unmotivated, on a star trip, etc. then it really screws up the whole thing. What's REALLY unfortunate is when the lazy person or the control freak or the alcoholic is one of the main songwriters or otherwise critical to the band. Otherwise you can just fire the offending person and get somebody else.

I always think that a key element in whether a band is going to stick together, is whether they enjoy rehearsing. I don't care how "pro" everybody is - if you spend a lot of time playing together you're going to sound better, have arrangements that are more interesting, etc.

When I lived in L.A. and was playing in a lot of bands that only wanted to be famous, and/or had to rent rehearsal space which nobody could afford, or otherwise just didn't feel like getting off their sorry asses and rehearsing, I dreamed of being in a band that just wanted to play together and enjoyed it regardless if it was jamming in the basement or playing in an arena. A band that truly enjoys playing and enjoys each other's company is worth its weight in gold, in terms of what it will do for you as a musician and as a human being.

--Lee

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

I agree with LEE, I too many years ago when I played out a lot some of the band members only wanted to drink, full-a-round with the girls, take long breaks, and not concentrate on the task at hand, "PLAY MUSIC". This group that I was with practiced once a week and sometimes skipped a week to do something else. What a drag. I've been in many bands, some of which I developed, but every time I commited my time to set things up some cry-baby couldn't make the session. I too got rid of a few folks and upgrade to more serious players.

If I didn't practice at least 3 times a week ,if we wern't playing out on a gig, I would feel that I was not committed enough, and this didn't count the weekends that I practiced by myself either.

You need to be commited to practicing many times during the week. I had a pair of drumsticks in my hands when I was 7yrs old. Always practiced.........a lot of times practiced all weekend alone, take a break and go at it again. My parents ended up going shopping a lot. I used to put 5 or 6 albums on my dad's stereo and played until hungry, had to go to the bathroom or when a friend came over to chat. I used to play in the basement of my parents home. Found an old 15" speaker that I found in an alleyway in Pittsburgh Pa. where I used to live. Mounted the speaker in the floor joists and got lost in the songs, played for hours.

I always was committed to music, never would wander away from the main purpose to play, have fun and learn as much as I could from other drummers a lot older than I was.

Today I find that I enjoy playing with friends again, but don't want to start any band! My good friend the bass player that lays some tracke down with me from time to time, just told me he is going to leave one of the bands that he is with because they don't practice enough, and don't try to get any work. He was fed up to say the least. He is an excellent bass player, has a tremendous amount of gear, basses, amps, including two upright basses. I feel bad for him.

I do enjoy playing with friends again.......getting to be an old fart now, but I believe it is because there is nothing to prove any more, no battle of the bands to compete with, just professional experiences along with friends that understand me now. :D

My thoughts ......Peace dj and all others here......

Jazzman :cool:

Originally posted by MPCman:

I quitted my band just over a month ago..

I was the one who wanted to play, it seemed as if the others liked to dream about being famous, but they always found a reason why we shouldnt practice.

I got tired of that, so I qutted.... right now I'm getting very bored playing alone only

I'm the EXACT same situation as you. weird... I'm looking for new ppl to play with at the moment!

Archived