Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it wasn't a standard in the "old days" to use a click like it is now - the only exceptions were things like d gauss mentions where a loop or sequence was used as an effect. I don't mind that kind of thing once in awhile but now, of course, it's "the norm" and I for one hate it. Music doesn't "breathe" anymore.

A lot of session drummers take it as a "challenge" to be able to play with a click too, they say if you can't play to a click you don't have good time. I think the point is not whether you CAN play to a click - I know plenty of drummers who CAN but who still hate it and find it confining, and so do I. I LIKE subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) variations in tempo - a LOT. Our drummer and I were just listening to "When the Levee Breaks" the other day and noticed that the song most definitely picks up the tempo as it goes along - and it totally WORKS. If they'd stuck to a rigid tempo it would just SUCK. And of course that's only one example out of thousands - the early Motown stuff, which is considered some of the "tightest" stuff on record, varies a lot too.

But these days it's more important to cut everything to a click so the producer doesn't have to commit to an arrangement (or clue any of the musicians in to how the arrangement will be) until mixdown when he can just cut and paste everything together. :rolleyes:

--Lee

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

WHAT DO YOU EVEN USE AS A CLICK TRACK?!?

seriously, i used to work with this drummer who had one (something, but i don't really remember what it was... i think it may have been a sampler but i have no idea) in his studio... it was a rackmount thing and it did what a click track is supposed to do. but no matter what i search for on ebay or wherever i can't find a unit or machine that produces a click track... anyone want to tell me what people use to make one in the first place? :)

Bit of an old topic here, but one worth reviving I think.

Regarding the last question, most digital MTR's (Multi Track Recorders) have a click function, and a loop function, so you can play effects and a click at the same time.

I really respect a drummer who doesn't need a click to record. My only experience recording drums has been in a booth with no accompanyment, so that click really helps me 'imagine' there is a band there. I speed up and slow down, sure, and the track never sounds mechanical. It helps me find the 'groove', I don't necessarily play to it, it is just a guide.

For those drummers who can find the groove without a click, and without accompanyment then I respect them. If there are ways to record drums with accompanyment then I would like to know them. I have tried recording at the same time as bass and also guitar, but they distracted me more than helped! I guess that's the difference between amateurs like me and pros.

For the record, the "click track" was originally punched holes in film to keep orchestras in sync with motion pictures ..this was devised by Max Steiner in the late 30s/ear/y 40s..

The click generator came into use in recording studios in the early 60s ..again to keep music in sync with visual images ( both film and tv ads music )

It crept into pop recording in the early 70s when drummers couldn't maintain steady grooves at usually VERRRRRY slow tempos ..

then ..tada... disco ..the rest is hysteria :)

Archived