Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardware bags

Lee Flier

Our drummer's two hardware bags are falling apart, they're like 12 years old and he's been saying he needs new ones. And his birthday is coming up. :)

What kind would y'all recommend that we get for him? They don't have to be the "heaviest duty" ones available, we don't go on the road much or anything, but they should last for awhile, and they can't be too expensive.

All suggestions welcome.

--Lee

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't like hardware bags. they are awkward, flimsy, and they hurt my hands. i bought this case called Golf Gaurd at a local kmart. its the best trap case i've ever owned. its tall enough to store your stands without collapsing them, its got decent wheels and the handles are in the perfect place to lift the thing up and roll it into my truck (coffin style).and it was half the price of anything else even close to it. it cost around 50.00. if your drummer doesn't like it. just go back to kmart and return it. or send it to me. i could use a new one.

I use army duffel bags. No wheels, no padding but they last almost forever. I'm using two now that I've had since about 1988 and while a little beat up, they're still in good condition. In US$ they should be less than $20 each.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I was going to make a joke about a golf bag but I might offend someone....oh, I almost forgot who I am.

When I see drummers with duffel and golf bags it's like "NERD ALERT"....totally unprofessional-cheap. If I have a choice I go for the pontiac over the chevy- life's to short for me.

I use an anvil fiber trap case...the darn thing has lasted 19 years...just don't leave them in the rain. I had to put a new wood bottom on it once but that is it. It is still going strong and I still schlep hardware at least once a week.

They make them in smaller sizes...I have a relatively large one- trap case that is.

GET SOMETHING WITH WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay away from the bags. I have an army duffle and I've put hardware in it, but I prefer my trap case.

Welllll our drummer is a creature of habit and I doubt he'd want to use anything but bags at this point, they've served him well and wheels don't do him a whole lot of good when lugging stuff up from the basement. :D

He says he saw some at Guitar Center that he liked, I'll have to go by there and take a look at them. I'll report back and let you guys know if I have any questions.

--Lee

felix, you obviously don't know what i'm describing or you would not make such an absurd comment. the case i'm describing is used to transport golf clubs on an airplane. it has since been copied by companies like skb because it is such a great design for a trap case. wheels, handles in the correct places. no straps, but rather a piano hinge. check it out. then come back and crack on it .

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up getting a couple of 38" Kaces bags. They have rigid plastic bottoms, straps inside for strapping yer stuff in, and lots of cool little side pockets. They also have shoulder straps PLUS a bunch of different carry handles. I think a couple of you mentioned them before on this forum.

Anyway our drummer LOVES them, and used 'em right away for a gig. They definitely turned out to be the perfect gift! I got them from Guitar Center if anyone cares to check them out.

--Lee

When I see drummers with duffel and golf bags it's like "NERD ALERT"....totally unprofessional-cheap. If I have a choice I go for the pontiac over the chevy- life's to short for me.

HAHAHA...well, you just knew I'd be the one to pop in on this one...didn't ya?

Shonuff, my brother uses a Golf Bag for all his cymbal stands...I'll just say FU for him in his absence. :D He's got a good trap case for everything else that he's had since 1978, it's still going strong.

He didn't buy either one...my Dad found the golf bag in the trash and my brother's high school gave him the trap case...SOMETIMES it makes more sense to save your money for things you can't get for free http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smokin.gif.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

I actually bought a few good cases, early on, and ended up getting rid of them. Nothing packs hardware into the car as well as a duffle bag with some extra room. It's a lot easier to shift around and make fit with the other equipment.

I really prefer hard cases for everything, but unless you're driving a cube van... it's soft cases for the drums and a duffle bag for the hardware.

Archived