Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cleaning an Old K

ackthbtbthotmail.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Doc:

I would be extremely careful regarding old K's. The answer to the question is ... dependant on how soiled the cymbal is.

If it is totally cruddy, you may want to consider a professional at your local drum center take a look at it. They often have cymbal cleaning machines designed to be gentle and non-abrasive to the cymbals grooves.

It the cymbal is not too bad, you may consider utilizing your favorite cymbal companies polish. I have even used Wright's Silver polish to clean old cymbals. I use the Silver polish because it is much less abrasive than thier brass polish.

The last option is to totally leave the cymbal alone. You may enjoy the aged look. Many folks do. It reminds some drummers of the years of use associatted with the cymbal.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Hi, ackthbtbt. Hey.....don't let them full you, it's $125.00 for the cymbal and $775.00 for getting it cleaned.....just kidding.

I've used some cleaners in the past that were supposed to be easy on the cymbals, but, it had taken off some of the lettering and left a film, I was really upset. I can't rember the name of the product but I haven't used any comerical cleaners or polishes since. I now just use a damp rag and a towel to just get the dust off.

So be careful of what you are buying. It might be a good idea to have a sales person at a local drum shop demonstrate the product in front of you on their own dirty cymbals before you purchase any cleaners or polishes from them. These babbies are expensive, and proper care should be given to them so they last a lifetime.

I believe I started a thread on this subject a while back....I think.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived