Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Burned out

felix stein

I go thru drummers burnout at least 2x a year. And I don't think it sucks because I frankly hate the thought of even getting near a drumset.

Don't you guys ever get bored with it?

I mean slaving away for hours over some "backwards" groove that 90% of anyone you are going to jam with won't have a clue how to accompany you? Or learning some multi layered ostinato fill that probably won't have the same impact as 8th note triplets down the line?

I think I'm going back into my groove phase...just play groove, time. I'm so sick of fills and complicated patterns.

Long live Phil Rudd!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

felix, I get into that condition a lot of times during the year in the studio. I just have to let it go for a while, do something different. Your brain is just saying "just stop, give me a break already". Maybe your just trying too hard to think of new material and can't, therefore you become bored, or just fed up and feel it's a waste of time. This is what happens to me.

Relax, my friend, this will pass as usual.......stay cool..

Jazzman :cool:

Originally posted by felix stein:

I go thru drummers burnout at least 2x a year. And I don't think it sucks because I frankly hate the thought of even getting near a drumset.

I mean slaving away for hours over some "backwards" groove that 90% of anyone you are going to jam with won't have a clue how to accompany you? Or learning some multi layered ostinato fill that probably won't have the same impact as 8th note triplets down the line?

I think I'm going back into my groove phase...just play groove, time. I'm so sick of fills and complicated patterns.

Long live Phil Rudd!

Try reversing your toms.

Yeah, great idea! Whenever I get bored, I usually do something different with my kit... switch cymbals around, reduce the number of toms or place them in different areas.

I hate burnout. But it happens to everyone. That's when I usually try and learn something new. Like I'm excited right now to be teaching myself brush technique. Or just inspire yourself somehow. Do some shrooms or something. ;)

Just for the record.

Take up a new instrument as well as continue with your other studies. That's what I did because I was bored with the piano. I find that it clears your mind of all the other crap. Then, pretty soon, you're writing a new song on another instrument then you need the drums to complete the song. Oh ya, it's that easy. LOL

Brad

Note, I'm not "The Zorro" super funky drummer. I get that way also, burned out. Sometimes I'll practice 1/2 the night, get up and go to work. Since I'm not playing full time anymore, I practice a lot more. Work on sticking that I'll probably rarely use except in a solo. I also ( not to sound like a put down), practice much much more than my band mates. Drums do excite me, but some days I give it a break (and feel guilty doing so). I hate watching TV because I think it's robbing me of practice time, so I'll practice stick twirling of tap my feet and fingers working on some pattern while watching the tube. Not all the time but at least 75%. Imagine the hours guys like Billy Cobham spent refining his craft ! How many guys with day jobs reach that level? The day job really gets in the way of my drumming progress. I'll have to be happy with the level I'm at because of the time investment required to make it happen the way I really want to. A never ending journey of learning. The frustrating part is I know I'll never be able to put the time into it, and keep my job at the same time. I bring my sticks to work and drum during traffic jams etc. Always something to work on. It's late, starting to talk too much, take care all.

No, but I get frustrated if I'm not learning something as quickly as I like, or if I don't have decent recall of something I recently learned. In that case, I dream up impossible scenarios, like Tower of Power has asked me to sit in at the last moment, and then play along with a live disc from start to finish. Not necesarily beneficial as a drummer, but it's fun to dream. :P

Hmmm....well I say don't fight burnout. After all, you're burnt out. Give it a rest and do something else with your time. My musicianship has always improved more by listening anyway. Find some new music to listen to, something completely different than you usually listen to. If you don't want to go near a kit, then don't. Eventually you'll find the inspiration to get back at it, with an enthusiasm for something new.

felix, I meant to reply to this earlier but...

Sounds like you had the right idea about getting back into groove and time. I agree that sitting around learning complicated stuff that you're probably never going to use, can burn you out and feel unproductive. I tend to structure my practice sessions around stuff that I'm actually working on: "Well, these are the songs I'm working on now - what kinds of exercises or work will make me able to play this stuff better?" Then I avoid burnout. Sitting around by myself playing stuff that doesn't relate to anything or anybody, has never been particularly fulfilling to me. And if there's nothing in particular that I need to work on that day, I've got no problem with laying off practicing entirely, or just going over stuff I already know - like you say, just playing grooves and zoning out on autopilot. I think that's very beneficial to one's playing, even if it doesn't feel like you're "learning" anything new.

Sounds like you figured that out already but that's my .02 anyway...

--Lee

Hey, Felix:

Gettin' back to groove? Try playing bass drum, snare, hihat only for a while! I do this often (only I add an 8" splash on a hihat clutch to the top of the hat rod.

This will make you use your noodle for some interesting fills!

... and for you my token jew, ... burn-out ... schmurn out!!

Get back on the throne!!!!!

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

[QB]Hey, Felix:

Gettin' back to groove? Try playing bass drum, snare, hihat only for a while! I do this often

I do this on occassion when I don't want to lug things around.

To make a long story short, When I do this we have some of the best sessions ever. I play incredible and the vibe is great and the band plays better.

Anyway, I hate to say, I also play guitar which if anything keeps me from getting burned out on the drums.

It's gotten pathetic. I rarely even play the drums unless I have to when the band plays.

It's never too late to learn another instrument.

Breaks the monotany.

You could always play with another drummer :)

Record yourself and play to it :D

Hey, Rebonn:

Not to derail the conversation, but I could not help but to notice you are from Blairsville! My dad grew up in Toccoa and I have grown up eating biscuits with great sorghum syrup from a farm in Blairsville! Send some my way.

DJ

Long live Phil Rudd!

Hey Felix, how much time do you spend working on your left-foot hi-hat? I'm learning how to recreate a lot of the stuff I use my right-hand for with my left foot. I'm at the point where I can do some sixteenth-note patterns, and even get in the quick chirps. Sometimes it makes for a really monster groove, especially when I add some counter rhythms on the bell of the ride cymbal.

Just a stupid little idea to maybe help you break out of your funk. =)

Archived