Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

McBrush technique

sidereal

I'm looking for some quick educational options for learning brush technique. I don't need a thorough education, just the basics and some exercises to get started. Any videos or books anyone can recommend that fall into this category?

Thanks...

Just for the record.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sidereal:

I'm looking for some quick educational options for learning brush technique. I don't need a thorough education, just the basics and some exercises to get started. Any videos or books anyone can recommend that fall into this category?

Thanks...

First, Merry Christmas! I'm sitting here waiting for my niece and nephew to get up (the only reason we even still do this Christmas morning thing anymore), so I've got some time to answer your question.

Two books I have: Ed Thigpen's "The Sound of Brushes" and one by ... i can't remember, called "Brush Fire." I have both those books. They were highly recommended, although I can't say I ever worked through either.

The most basic technique I can remember is practicing drawing circles with the left hand. I practiced completing the circle in half notes, eighth notes and quarter notes while keeping time with the left-foot hi-hat and playing a jazz ride pattern with the ride hand (also on the snare). You can also do a sixteenth-note pattern (usually swung), but I never got that far.

Archived