Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you could?

djarrett

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by djarrett:

If you could take private lessons with any drummer ... who would that be?

Great question, DJ! And do you select them solely on their ability to play, or do you include other factors, too? I have no doubt I could learn plenty just by sitting next too Vinnie or Steve Gadd. But if we're talking extended systematic lessons, I'd probably look for people who are both players and communicators. Vinnie and Steve are bright people, but they often find it difficult to explain *why* it is they do what they do. That's important.

So do I look for popular teachers? Ed Soph and so many other world-reknown teachers are appealing, but I could probably do that anyway. We're talking about dream drum teachers, so I'd probably look for drummers who are better known for the playing. Not that Soph isn't a player, I just don't know anything about his abilities.

I'd definately love to have a few lessons with David Garibaldi, but I'd want a more well-rounded teacher, so I wouldn't do more than three lessons with him.

I think I might choose in this order, terms of first playing, then communication, then well-rounded styles:

1. Dave Weckl

2. Billy Cobham

3. Steve Smith

4. Peter Erskine

5. Joe Porcaro

6. Steve Houghton

7. Jeff Watts

8. Tom Brechtlein

9. Omar Hakim

10. Chuck Silverman

And if anyone remembers the intense argument between Cobham and Erskine a few years back, it's no small irony they both make my list. I have the highest respect for both of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Gibson, a Jazz drummer from New Zealand who died about 8 years ago.

Frank gave me my first lessons when I was 12 (I'm now 34), and I would love the opportunity to re-learn everything I have forgotten over the past 18 years. The best people always get taken away from us first!

DJ, I would say Dave Weckl then Steve Gadd then Billy Cobham. Tough question. There are a lot of excellent drummers out there to choose from.

The first lesson would be a waste, I would pay to here them play first!!!!! :D:D:D

Oh,BTW Felix...

I'm glad you are getting into jazz, my man.

You-all keep the stick on the ice out there.............

Jazzman :cool:

Babatunde Olatunji...

I guess I would go for lessons in the tradition of African drumming that has been handed down over the generations...

...part of my quest for universal ryhthmic principles, in order to better speak the vibrational language of music.

Archived